The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nitto 555RII Tire Pressure Suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am about to try a set of Nitto 555RII tires come Monday at the BIR 2.5 mile track. Any suggestions for me on tire pressure that anyone has? I have been running Conti takeoffs all summer and going to give these a try. The Conti's I have been running cold at 22 right side and 23.5 left side and that seems to be working very well due to the predominant right turns on the track. Any suggestions for the Nittos??

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
He has 40 track weekends, so pretty darn sure he can give you accurate data on the Nittos as they seem to be one of his favorites. With all the weekends he has run, he does have a good wealth of info on what works !

Thanks for the PM and sorry I didn't see the thread. Pete might also have some good info to share as he runs these tires.

I shoot for 40-41 psi hot. I typically start the day at 33 front, 32 rear cold to hit that hot pressure, but it will vary with ambient temps and driving style.

Bill Pemberton said:
He has 40 track weekends, so pretty darn sure he can give you accurate data on the Nittos as they seem to be one of his favorites. With all the weekends he has run, he does have a good wealth of info on what works !
Now you're embellishing a bit ;D 40 track DAYS in the Boss. I wish I had 40 track weekends but unfortunately work gets in the way. Gotta pay for all those tires, rotors pads and replacement parts! ;)

Gary - Thanks for that info. I will give that a try come Monday. I am loving the Conti take-offs, which you helped me find, but thought I would try the Nittos as I burn through the Conti's fast. Negative camber, max'd at 2.7, and proper tire pressure has helped immensely to extend the tire life.

I saw your PM regarding the Mustang Roundup and have been also reading that thread. I need to plan my calendar better next year so I can attend. A bit of drive, but I am sure it would be worth it.

LS110 said:
I was off by a pound, I have been running the conti's hot at 29.5 left and 28 right. They increase 6 pounds from cold to hot very consistently.
I run the Contis at 34 hot. I was running them at 30-32 hot but I found 34 is better. I start at 28 front and 27 rear to get to 34 hot typically.

Wow, that is a big difference from what I have been doing. I received the suggested pressures I have been running from Greg who I buy the tires through and who I think you use as well. Maybe that explains why I am wearing to thread so quickly. When I bumped up the 1.5 on the left side, that alone made a big difference. I will try 34 hot. Thanks!!

LS110 said:
Wow, that is a big difference from what I have been doing. I received the suggested pressures I have been running from Greg who I buy the tires through and who I think you use as well. Maybe that explains why I am wearing to thread so quickly. When I bumped up the 1.5 on the left side, that alone made a big difference. I will try 34 hot. Thanks!!
Greg and Todd drive Corvettes that are gutted and weigh less than 3000 lbs. With our cars at 3600 lbs, we need higher pressure.

That makes sense. I will let you know how the the tires do tomorrow. 46 degrees expected for the first session, and cloudy/rain. Not great to judge these changes.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I used to run the Nittos at 40 hot like Gary, but I found for my driving style 37 to 38 hot is getting me more grip through and out of the corners. This seems to be especially true on tracks where there is a lot of trail braking. I start at 30 to 32 hot based on the weather and then adjust after my first run. Some of all this has to do with outside temps also. My guess is Gary's suspension is letting him run a little hotter than me, plus based on his wear patterns I know he pushing the car harder into the turns than I am so he may need a little more pressure to stop some rollover on the tires. I wear my Nittos on the inside mostly with 2.2 degress of camber and Gary wears on the outsides and still has more camber set than I do.

I would start cold at 32 and see how much pressure is built up right after your first run. It should be somewhere between 5 and 8 lbs. The sweet spot for the tire in general I believe is between 37 and 40 hot. Start high and just start removing, you'll find the best pressure for your setup and driving.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I apologize for being so effusive over Gary's track days, now finding he only has 40 track days in his Boss , not 40 weekends. Gosh, he only has 38 more days than I do in my Boss, so ..................................holy crap............that still means he is one of the go to sources for great info.

This Forum is definitely the place to go to get info about tracking your Boss, as it has quite a few active drivers. I have always found before purchasing something it is good to get the info from folks who have actually tried something or used it alot . Pete in CT and Gary will always try to steer folks correctly.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
But Bill, the way he drives on the highway can count as a track day. I think you're original numbers were spot on ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
That's either because:

1) You are friends with the State Trooper Captain
2) They can't catch you.

Fess up ! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors