The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nitto NT-01 now available in 305/35-18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Re: Nitto NT-01 now available in 305/35-18

cloud9 said:
Tires last more than a weekend ???

I am still using the same set I started with last year. VIR and Road America both 3 days each, Hastings, TWS and just finished Watkins Glen. I will probably run them again at Hastings in September. I will put a new set on for Daytona in December though.
I run a square set up and keep them rotated. I also flipped them on the rim before the first event this year.
The NT01 has been a great tire for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm surprised you didn't notice more of a difference. I now have four track days on my Hankook RS3's and there's a huge difference with them compared to the stock Pirelli's. I'd be surprised if the Hankook's are better than the NT01's plus the Nitto's are wider.

Rick,

Might chaulk my impression up to my low experience. The car felt like it would do what I wanted it to anywhere on the track except for the esses, which is probably the worst place to loose control on that track. Stiffening up the rear shocks did help, may be that I need more roll control [shocks, springs, bars] in order to take advantage of the additional grip.

How did they fit the rim? I am using the same rims as you have?

They fit the rims just fine. A friend of mine who races SCCA mounted them up for me and he commented that an 11" wheel would have worked better for the 305s, but the 10" wheel was OK. I also noticed the rear tire extends a little beyond the fender [driver side, passenger side almost flush]. But I drove the car on these tires to the track and back and absolutely no issues with clearance.

May end up getting and adjustable panhard rod in the future, especially once I lower the car. ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Hermes said:
Ran 3 half hour sessions for 3 days at Watkins Glen this weekend on the NT-01. This was my 9-11th track day so I'm kind of new to this. My impression was that these tires worked well mid corner and I could definitely carry more speed through the corners. Grip was better, but it wasn't a night and day difference from the stock P Zeros I had been running. I did notice that the car felt unsettled in transition [most noticeably turn 2 - 3 in the climbing esses for people familiar with the Glen]. This was something I had not experience with the Pirelli's [may not have been carrying as much speed, but I doubt it]. I increased rear shock setting from 4 to 5 and this helped a bit. Also noticed tire roll indicator showed I had too much air pressure so I eventually took out a total of 1.5 psi. I ended up running these at 36 rear and 37 front [hot] which seemed to work well. I have no camber plates.

Pushing the tires past their limit a couple of times gave gradual breakaway, so nothing to worry about with an abrupt breakaway. I measured tread depth before and after my 3 day 4.5 hour total track time event and wore down roughly 0.012" averaged between the tires. There was no indication of any abnormal wear [including outside edge of front tires]. I will be putting camber plates on before my next event, I just like to make one change at a time so that I can tell what effects each change has on the cars dynamics.

There should be a huge difference. Check your pressures. They might not be fully broken in either. The 01's won't do as well as the 555r-II's but both should do much better than stock.

just FYI, here's what they look like on the car. I didn't know where to start with pressures, so I just ran 33-34 cold/38-40 hot. they felt okay, but some suggest ~38 is a good hot temperature to run. I'll try a few less psi next time.

IMG_2320.jpg

340pm+-+NIC_8593-06-28.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

neema thanks for posting. Did you have to use spacers and what size wheels are those?

BTW nice grille. ;)

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
neema said:
just FYI, here's what they look like on the car. I didn't know where to start with pressures, so I just ran 33-34 cold/38-40 hot. they felt okay, but some suggest ~38 is a good hot temperature to run. I'll try a few less psi next time.

IMG_2320.jpg

340pm+-+NIC_8593-06-28.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Nice GT and great brakes, looking good! What are you running suspension wise? car sits nice. You do however need to work on your numbers ;).
I used to run NTO1s on my M-3 when I had that. Great tire can drive on the street a little bit and does real well at the track. Price is good. Have not used the NT555R11s , they look good and size wise they look made for the Mustang. I was told that Toyo makes Nitto and they share the RA1 and 888 technology in the Nitto brand showing up first in the NTO1s and then the NT555R11s. All four great tires. When I add 18x10 wheels next year one of these will be on them.
Nto1s
305/35-18, 12.32" wide , 26.42" tall, 1,819 load.
275/40-18 10.91" wide , 26.65" tall, 1,709 load.
Nt555r11s
305/35-18 12.48"wide , 26.30" tall , 1,819 load.
285/35-18 11.22"wide , 25.92" tall , 1,609 load.

Domestic Product said:
Nice GT and great brakes, looking good! What are you running suspension wise? car sits nice. You do however need to work on your numbers ;).
I used to run NTO1s on my M-3 when I had that. Great tire can drive on the street a little bit and does real well at the track. Price is good. Have not used the NT555R11s , they look good and size wise they look made for the Mustang. I was told that Toyo makes Nitto and they share the RA1 and 888 technology in the Nitto brand showing up first in the NTO1s and then the NT555R11s. All four great tires. When I add 18x10 wheels next year one of these will be on them.
Nto1s
305/35-18, 12.32" wide , 26.42" tall, 1,819 load.
275/40-18 10.91" wide , 26.65" tall, 1,709 load.
Nt555r11s
305/35-18 12.48"wide , 26.30" tall , 1,819 load.
285/35-18 11.22"wide , 25.92" tall , 1,609 load.

Here's what the car has on it at the moment:
KW Clubsports (530/350 lb springs; 12.75"/13.5" fender to hub ride height)
ST sway bars (front: adjustable--set to soft; rear non-adjustable)
Maximum Motorsports rod-end aluminum panhard bar
Steeda ball joints

Cortex relocation brackets and lower control arms will go on next, and if I can find someone to properly install some bump steer tie rods I'll throw those on too.

NFSBOSS said:
neema thanks for posting. Did you have to use spacers and what size wheels are those?

BTW nice grille. ;)

1/4" spacers were used for a little extra tire to strut clearance, but only for peace of mind. The swaybar endlink stud on the strut had to be trimmed back about 7mm. The wheels are 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01. The tire would fit better on an 11 or 11.5" wheel, but it not easy to run consistent offsets all around anymore. The rear would need a higher offset and the front, a lower offset.

Hermes said:
Tires just came in yesterday and I'm going to have them on the track Friday! The outside tread blocks are HUGE on these tire, which makes them almost like a slick. Did a few weights before getting them mounted.

Nitto 275/35-18 27.4 lb
Nitto 305/35-18 31.8 lb
Forgestar F14 18X10 21.0 lb

I'll let people know how they worked for me after my 3 day event at Watkins Glen.

100_0944.jpg

Post some pics of your car with the forgestar and the NT01
I am curious to see how these fit on same size frt & rear wheels.
Thx

thanks for bringing this back to the top. do you guys have further reviews of the NT-01s now that you have some time on them?

The biggest effect I've noticed with (warm) NT01s in conjunction with track brake pads is the ability to slow the car down. There's a lot more bite. I have the stock abs controller at the moment, but I'm curious to see what the 302s unit would change/improve

Post some pics of your car with the forgestar and the NT01
I am curious to see how these fit on same size frt & rear wheels.
Thx

Went back and found that I don't have good pictures of the car parked where you can see how the tires fit inside the wheel wells. This is the best I could find. I can tell you that I don't have any issues with fit. I cut off part of the long stud for the front sway bar link just to have extra clearance. I'm not running camber plates so I don't know how that would effect clearance.

2013MAY-AUG399.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

Nice Vette, hermes. I'll bet that turns some heads!

Hermes

1965 roadster?

Thanks, yes it's a 65 roadster. Owned it since 1991 and just sold it this summer. Those old cars have a lot of character, attitude, and charisma and are lot of fun to drive. Never had the chance to drive an original Boss, though I did drive a 70 Mach 1 with a 351C a few times, but I imagine they are also packed full of that stuff. Here's a better picture of the Vette.

100_0934.jpg

I didn't know where to start with pressures, so I just ran 33-34 cold/38-40 hot. they felt okay, but some suggest ~38 is a good hot temperature to run. I'll try a few less psi next time.

I ended up running these tires for 6 days [3 at Watkins Glen and 3 at VIR] I kept notes on starting tire pressure and end of session pressures. I marked the sidewalls to see how far they were rolling over compared to the marks Nitto puts on the tire to indicate proper roll over. I found that I needed 37 psi rear and 35 psi front hot to give good roll over indications. I consitantly measured temperature as soon as I pulled into the paddock after a half a cool down lap. Ambient temps at VIR were high 80's to mid 90's and my starting pressures were about 30 psi. Watkins Glen was similar, but my starting pressures were 28-29 psi.

I plan to get a pyrometer and start checking tire temps next season, but for now the sidewall indicators were all I had to help me get the pressures close.

By the way tire wear has been excellent [maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough]. I measured an average depth of 3 of the dimples on each tire new, after 3 day at WG and after 3 days at VIR and saw about 0.012" of wear after WG and an additional 0.015" after VIR. The remaining depth is about 0.155 front and 0.165 rear. The rear dimples were deeper when new. Wear front to rear seams to be consistant, but I am wearing the outsides of my fronts faster than the insides. Hope to get camber plates for next year to help balance the wear as well as work with the temps to maximize grip.

Hermes said:
I ended up running these tires for 6 days [3 at Watkins Glen and 3 at VIR] I kept notes on starting tire pressure and end of session pressures. I marked the sidewalls to see how far they were rolling over compared to the marks Nitto puts on the tire to indicate proper roll over. I found that I needed 37 psi rear and 35 psi front hot to give good roll over indications. I consitantly measured temperature as soon as I pulled into the paddock after a half a cool down lap. Ambient temps at VIR were high 80's to mid 90's and my starting pressures were about 30 psi. Watkins Glen was similar, but my starting pressures were 28-29 psi.

I plan to get a pyrometer and start checking tire temps next season, but for now the sidewall indicators were all I had to help me get the pressures close.

By the way tire wear has been excellent [maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough]. I measured an average depth of 3 of the dimples on each tire new, after 3 day at WG and after 3 days at VIR and saw about 0.012" of wear after WG and an additional 0.015" after VIR. The remaining depth is about 0.155 front and 0.165 rear. The rear dimples were deeper when new. Wear front to rear seams to be consistant, but I am wearing the outsides of my fronts faster than the insides. Hope to get camber plates for next year to help balance the wear as well as work with the temps to maximize grip.

great info! my goal is to start breaking into tracking with the start of next season! your feedback is great for new folks like me!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel