The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NITTO NT01 vs HOOSIER R7

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I completely understand. Regardless many of us took multiple steps to get to the end setup. It’s much cheaper in the long run to go straight to the best proven setup first. Ask me how I know. :D
yup...

Also agree with the above. Go straight to the best, proven setup you can afford, now.
If you are on a race track, use race tires.
Get comfortable with a consistant wheel and tire setup, and the settings (camber, pressures, temps).
Construct a temp vs pressure graph for these tires, for each corner, for each track (see thread by blacksheep).
It will save you alot of time, money and frustration in the long run, AND you will have alot more fun working on the driver mod.
Wish I could/would have done what I listed above, and the best advice I believe I can pass along. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Hey Jay, don't know what to say regarding your setup as my suspension is completely stock and will remain that way for a while as I just ordered a new Exedy Clutch Kit to hopefully eliminate the hi rpm lockout that I have experienced on my Boss. Once I get this issue resolved I may go down the rabbit hole of suspension improvements....

I have found that this site and the people on here have given great recommendations on my clutch issues and I am sure they will provide some great advice for you!

Now to prepare for the Thanksgiving Feast....Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Would agree about always going for the best you can afford....it saves time and money in the long term.. (P springs vs Cortex coil overs for example!!) But for tires, they are the BIG wear item so what ever you get you will need new ones soon!!!

US
You really want a 10.5 or 11" wide wheel for a 305. Check the APEX wheels by clicking on the link to the right.
I have 305s on my 18 x10s and the tread width isn't really past the rim. Im running Pirelli pzero slicks. Cheap sve rims from AM. No problems so far..... What problems have people had?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

To maximize grip from a 305 you’ll want an 11” wide wheel. You’re not getting the full performance from your tire in it’s current setup.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
To maximize grip from a 305 you’ll want an 11” wide wheel. You’re not getting the full performance from your tire in it’s current setup.
I found that 305's on 10" rims tended to wear the borders very fast even with 2.4 deg camber. Lap times were the same with 295's and they would wear evenly.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There's a lot of variation in the true tread width of tires, on TireRack's comparison chart I saw a difference of 1 full inch in tread width while the section width was within .3 inch of the same number. Tread width was from 10.5" to 11.5", section width was from 12" to 12.3", that was for 305/30/19. It would seem that a narrow 305 might be not too bad on a 10" rim and a wide 305 maybe not so much.

I'm not savvy enough to know how that could help or hurt fitment issues or handling, but I would guess less rubber on the road is not going to help handling. Then there's the compound to consider, a narrower stickier tire is maybe better than a fatter harder one? Generally though I figure wider rims are probably better than narrower ones, all other things being equal.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel