The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nitto Tire question. About to get NT555R II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi! I am about to get a square set of NT555R II tires in 305/35-18 on a set of 18x10 Drifts. I noticed that the Nitto NT05 is about US$100 less per tire..... Are they in any way comparable (in a 295/35-18)?? If I have 305's up front, what spacer size should I get?? I wanted to get the spacers at the same time, am assuming that longer bolts are need with spacers.

Wanted to stay in a "semislick" class without Hoosiers for now. The NT555R II's let me run with the more "normal" cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 05 is more of a high performance street tire than a competition tire. Check the treadwear ratings but IIRC the 05 is a 200 and the 555RII is 100(?).

The 555R II is a R comp tire the other is not. They are not comparable. See the what's needed to go square thread for help on spacers.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
PeteInCT said:
305's up front? Watch the brake cooing ducts !
-Pete

Too true, even with 275/35-19 tires I had to install a short section of rigid pvc to avoid the Rub. I am hoping that with the reduced diameter, a +- 5mm spacer and the 42mm offset, that I would get by.

Need the extra stick to get those Camaro Zl1's!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Re: Nitto Tire question. About to get NT555R II

Thats with the original diameter duct?? My short section of pvc pipe is about half the diameter of the original duct right were the tire would rub, gives more then a inch of extra space. It was a shame to see, and hear, the rubbing!! Might have lost a bit of cooling but overheating has not been a problem for a while now.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

No rubbing at all with the 305's. But after two track days they look like they only have one or two events left[emoji30] . Just as well they are discontiued!

My buddies hoosiers are lasting much better.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Mad Hatter said:
No rubbing at all with the 305's. But after two track days they look like they only have one or two events left[emoji30] . Just as well they are discontiued!

My buddies hoosiers are lasting much better.

Hoosier R6's don't last as long as the 555RII's, they are much softer. If your buddy's are lasting longer then he's not pushing the car like you are. I ran 555's for > 1 season and am now on R6's. As far as the discontinue, the NT-01's are taking their place - but the available sizes are different....

-Pete

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats good to know!! At least the NT01's are in 305/35-18. Will try to keep them alive for a while longer. Do you run them till they cycle out? or till the tread was worn away?? Was even thinking of going to 295/35-18 Rivals to help out the budget a bit.

In any case the 555's did finally get me ahead of one of my nemesis, a ZL1 with Toyos, Tune and a complete Borla setup.

https://www.facebook.com/timeattack.chile/photos/ms.c.eJwVyMERACAMArCNPIGWyv6Lqc8kpYnBtujRSumA0fNO~_B2g3SbeX~_fuCZ8~-.bps.t.1195291176/943796125632673/?type=1

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Mad Hatter said:
Thats good to know!! At least the NT01's are in 305/35-18. Will try to keep them alive for a while longer. Do you run them till they cycle out? or till the tread was worn away?? Was even thinking of going to 295/35-18 Rivals to help out the budget a bit.

In any case the 555's did finally get me ahead of one of my nemesis, a ZL1 with Toyos, Tune and a complete Borla setup.

https://www.facebook.com/timeattack.chile/photos/ms.c.eJwVyMERACAMArCNPIGWyv6Lqc8kpYnBtujRSumA0fNO~_B2g3SbeX~_fuCZ8~-.bps.t.1195291176/943796125632673/?type=1

I run all my tires until I can see the inside ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel