The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No ABS, no good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long story short, I'm getting close to taking the plunge and making my '06 3v swap car a more dedicated track car. Essentially the only thing holding me back is the fact that it started life as a base model 6 cylinder without ABS and TC. Now, I could care less about TC and prefer that it's not even there, but I can't help but feel that I am behind the 8 ball with not having ABS.

Already have 4 piston Brembos with cooling ducts and am very happy with how the car stops. But I'm hesitant to move forward on taking the next step with it, and not having ABS. Am I making a bigger deal out of this than it's worth? Anybody have insight or even run without ABS on higher level cars with good success? I believe the 302S and what not use ABS, no?

Already have 4 piston Brembos with cooling ducts and am very happy with how the car stops. But I'm hesitant to move forward on taking the next step with it, and not having ABS. Am I making a bigger deal out of this than it's worth? Anybody have insight or even run without ABS on higher level cars with good success? I believe the 302S and what not use ABS, no?

The 302S does use ABS. And I agree, it is a big deal. It's one of the best ways to make the car faster and safer at the same time.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Just to play the devil's advocate, this car is the first car I've ever driven on a track with ABS, I think I saw the light flash once but never felt it activate. Back in the day there mostly was no ABS and it wasn't a big deal, you just learned what you could and could not do with the brakes and threshold braking. This was in a semi-pro endurance series and regional sprints.

There were some high end cars with ABS racing back in those days but the really fast guys always turned it off, the exception being in the wet where some used it.

Is that what they do in racing now? Hammer the brakes as hard as you can and let the ABS do the work, floor the gas on corner exit and let the traction control take over? If it is, that's kind of sad, that was so much of the skill and artistry of racing.

I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, I just drive as I always did. YMMV.

You want to maintain the use of ABS. Turning off tracking control and active handling on cars equipped with such "nannies" is another thing. I like to turn everything off and have ABS, if needed. Threshold braking is ideal.

Hammering the brakes is not the idea, but the ABS racing module protects you when you push just a little too hard. Since I put it in, I think it only kicked in two or three times, but that may have ended up in flat spotted tires, which is far more expensive than the module. Having said that, if you’re confident in your skills to not have ABS, I don’t see anything wrong with that. I personally bought the module because you can’t completely turn traction control off on my car without that module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My comment about hammering the brakes wasn't meant to be smart ass, it really was mostly a question, albeit badly phrased. I had been watching the live stream from Daytona and one of the track yappers was talking about ABS in race cars being a big deal, and he kind of described it in terms that gave the idea that was what they were doing. So I kind of wondered about that.

I also gather that pulling the fun plug up on the inside of the left front fender disables traction/stability control but not ABS? So I don't think you can actually turn it off, can you?

I appreciate all the feedback, unfortunately they were the answers I was fearing. Since it's not really feasible to add ABS, I guess I need to start looking for another car.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hammering the brakes is not the idea, but the ABS racing module protects you when you push just a little too hard. Since I put it in, I think it only kicked in two or three times, but that may have ended up in flat spotted tires, which is far more expensive than the module. Having said that, if you’re confident in your skills to not have ABS, I don’t see anything wrong with that. I personally bought the module because you can’t completely turn traction control off on my car without that module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can disable all the nannies with a good track tune. Not everyone seems to know how though..... You end up with all the warning lights flashing just like the abs module.

In the V6L
...I also gather that pulling the fun plug up on the inside of the left front fender disables traction/stability control but not ABS? So I don't think you can actually turn it off, can you?
It unplugs the +12 volt power to the ABS module - everything's off when it's disconnected.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
And here I am with ABS that doesn't work....considering deleting it.
Question, does it do anything short of the pumping? I mean, if you never get the brakes to the point where the pumping occurs, is it doing anything at all? I know it releases wheels to keep them from locking, but does it only do it when the pump is engaged?
Even when it DID work, I never ever let it get the the pumping stage, so am I missing anything without it?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel