The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No Boss for 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I found this info related to what's new for the 2014 Shelby's.

NEW INTERIOR FEATURES
• Heated Seats are now standard (Except with RECARO®
optional seats)

NEW EXTERIOR COLOR
• Oxford White (YZ)
• Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat (RR)

SVT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE – (821A)
• Includes:
— TORSEN® differential with 3.31 axle ratio
— Unique 19'x9.5"(F) 20"x9.5"(R) "Tarnish" painted forgedaluminum
wheel
— Unique front and rear springs
— Unique front and rear stabilizer bars
— SVT Engineered Bilstein™ cockpit-selectable dampers
— Unique gear shift knob

SVT TRACK PACKAGE (55S) – Only available on
Coupes with 821A
• External engine oil cooler
• Differential cooler with pump
• Transmission cooler with pump

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Does the Shelby Track Package normally have pump driven coolers for the rear diff and tranny ??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I believe this is just a change in the wording of the MY info; you can't get fluid for the diff or tranny through the front-mount radiators WITHOUT a pump, so I'm guessing 2013s have this as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yep, there are two small radiators in the front, one for the trans and one for the diff. The side openings in the lower fascia direct air to each.

2013fordshelbygt500-06.jpg

Saw it in-person w/o the front fascia at SVT earlier this year.
My GUESS as to why it is not similar to the Rehagen setup is that Ford does not want a possible leak inside a passenger or cargo compartment of 250-300* pressurized fluids; in the 302Rs and FR500Cs there is less concern due to the fire system and hard bulkhead welded where the back seats normally are.
Also I heard a rumor that Rehagen/Watson manufacture the connections/piping/pumps for the GT500 coolers, but I can't confirm that.

PeteInCT said:
Does the Shelby Track Package normally have pump driven coolers for the rear diff and tranny ??

Yes. Transmission pump is internal to the TR6060 (but only used on TP) and the rear axle cooler is external.

5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords said:
All GT500 transmissions castings have a provision for oil cooling, but only the Track Cooling cars get the machining to accept the necessary hose fittings or the oil pump. The pump lives in the bottom front of the gearbox and is driven full-time off a tab on the countershaft. Furthermore the system has no thermostat, so the system is active whenever the engine is running and the clutch pedal is off the floor. Thin synthetic trans fluid means there are no issues with congealing oil on cold days.
From here...http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1209_2013_shelby_gt500_chassis_development/rev_limit.html

Differential pump, moves 1.5 gallons of fluid per minute when activated. My understanding was that this pump is sourced from the aircraft industry.

m5lp_1209_23_2013_shelby_gt500_total_package.jpg

Bay Area
TheMarco said:
Well the above document says so. Also, when I was at Track Attack I had the honor of having the project manager of the Boss Program being present. He's moved on to other projects since a while already so I'm pretty sure at this point.

Hey Marco - I think we were were at the same TA because when I was there the Ford Engineer had stated no more Boss but maybe in another 40 years and he could not talk about the new models.

According to Mustgangdaily 2013 is it. New order guides included.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/11/07/2014-ford-mustang-and-shelby-gt500-order-guides-released-no-more-boss-302/

"Perhaps the biggest difference for 2014, though, is that the Boss 302 will no longer be available as part of the Mustang lineup, limiting the production run to just two years as Ford initially promised."

ArizonaGT said:
Yep, there are two small radiators in the front, one for the trans and one for the diff. The side openings in the lower fascia direct air to each.

Saw it in-person w/o the front fascia at SVT earlier this year.
My GUESS as to why it is not similar to the Rehagen setup is that Ford does not want a possible leak inside a passenger or cargo compartment of 250-300* pressurized fluids; in the 302Rs and FR500Cs there is less concern due to the fire system and hard bulkhead welded where the back seats normally are.
Also I heard a rumor that Rehagen/Watson manufacture the connections/piping/pumps for the GT500 coolers, but I can't confirm that.

I busted my rear diff cooler fitting off of my diff cover. It sprayed diff fluid all over my exhaust. Luckily the corner worker had a big fire extinguisher!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Case in point - more 'stuff' means more 'stuff' to break ;D Since I only run HPDE's I'd have to see some evidence that there's tangible benfit for what I'm doing with the car. I also do not run in very hot temps like some do. If I was running in wheel to wheel racing, or maybe even TT's, i would probably add it. Who knows, the $$ that comes available the longer my mod list grows ;D

I think it is really strange nothing special is in the works for the 50th anniversary year of 2014. Only thing I can think of is that since the original Mustang was a 1964 1/2, that something similar will happen and a special run of 50th anniversary cars will be designated 2014 1/2 models, but will be the new body style. Saying that the 2015 MY cars will be 50th anniversary models just doesn't sound right - or make sense - to me.

jimprw said:
I think it is really strange nothing special is in the works for the 50th anniversary year of 2014. Only thing I can think of is that since the original Mustang was a 1964 1/2, that something similar will happen and a special run of 50th anniversary cars will be designated 2014 1/2 models, but will be the new body style. Saying that the 2015 MY cars will be 50th anniversary models just doesn't sound right - or make sense - to me.
Don't the 1964 1/2 cars all have 1965 VIN's? I trust Ford will repeat whatever they did back in 1964 and the 2015 model will be the 50th anniversary car. I've read the 2015 will be released at the 2014 NY auto show just like it was in 1964 and then the car will be available on April 17, 2014 50 years from the day of it originally going on sale.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel