The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No More Gear Whine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The gear has whined in my car since the day I bought it. The whine was between 60-80 mph. It has gotten progressively worse. I gave up on getting them warrantied after I learned my axels were bent. I decided to just pay someone to install new FMS 3:73 gears and Moser replacement axels.

The installer told me it appeared to have been run low on gear lube and that there were metal shavings. The car has 10,000 miles. He said it looked like a high mileage rearend. I never checked the lube but the dealer assured me that the lube had been changed and friction modifier had been added. The installer found that hard to believe.

I know I bent the axels using drag radials. The installer found that hard to believe as well.

If your gears whine and you are on the fence about replacing them, I assure you that you will be happy with a quiet rear end. I was hesitant to do it because I thought the whine was resinating through the pumpkin where the UCA connects. The noise came from the gear, not the UCA.

It's a shame that a $50,000 car came with a noisy rearend and that I had to pay to get it fixed. But it is what it is and I'm happy to have fixed the only thing I didn't like about the Boss.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
It sure didn't work for me. Picked the most reputable speed shop around (JPC) AND swapped from the 3.73's to 3.55's, which are supposed to have less inherent whining and it was great for about 50 miles. Then it was back loud and proud. On the plus side, I have a known " good" set of 3.73's I can switch back to if I find I can use more gear down the road.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
pufferfish said:
It sure didn't work for me. Picked the most reputable speed shop around (JPC) AND swapped from the 3.73's to 3.55's, which are supposed to have less inherent whining and it was great for about 50 miles. Then it was back loud and proud. On the plus side, I have a known " good" set of 3.73's I can switch back to if I find I can use more gear down the road.

Yeah...I brought mine in to a real race shop last summer with the rear gear whine issue. I was told the backlash was a little more than they set up for....but was told the 8.8" has the reputation of gear whine no matter what. Basically I was told I'd have to live with it.....unless I wanted to upgrade to a 9" rear end......which is tempting because it makes it much easier to switch ratio's with the removable center section.....but the cost ::).

Wayne

Rev Auto had taken my car out for a test drive to check out the transmission issues. I mentioned my gear whine to them, and the mechanic said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I was told they could reset the gears, so they wouldn't whine. But once the gears heated up and saw loads at the track, they would settle back and start whining again.

So, at this point, I've accepted to embrace the 3.73 music.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel