The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No passing power in 6th...is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeing that I just got my Boss, I wanted to see if others could chime in and confirm this.

On the highway, the car can really boogy with ease in 5th. Afterall, 5th is 1:1. However, put it into 6th and it loses all steam.
Even in 6th gear crusing at 60 to 70mph, it doesn't really want to accelerate if I give it more gas. Clearly, that's not good form and a downshift should be the proper way to do it. However, I'm accustomed to much more passing power in the top gear in my old car. Is this normal?

6th gear is geared for a top speed of 250+ MPH and is there for fuel mileage not flogging. Mine feels like a dog if I'm below 80 and stomp on it in 6th.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
There is a 6th gear? lol just kidding. Mine pulls decently well as I would expect it to in an overdrive gear at a low rpm. It actually pulls better not putting it to the floor put slowly rolling into the throttle.

GA
DGRacing said:
Its normal. 6th gear is less than 1 ratio so it won't pull or accelerate better than a stuffed turkey.

What he said. 6th is an overdrive gear. If you need to pass casually, drop to 5th. If you need make a road racing pass on the highway drop to 4th. ;) Don't forget to rev match.

PJWANNABE said:
What he said. 6th is an overdrive gear. If you need to pass casually, drop to 5th. If you need make a road racing pass on the highway drop to 4th. ;) Don't forget to rev match.

Yup. Thanks for the info.
Trust me, I'm all for the good footwork :D I'm dropping into 5th or even 4th on the highway (4th gear is for fun, really) to pass people. 6th just doesn't do it. I know it's a pretty aggressive overdrive, but just wanted to be certain that this was normal. It's my first V8, and I thought perhaps the mad torque of the V8 would make the overdrive feel a bit different. I guessed wrong!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Yep it feels like trying to push jello thru a straw! A few weeks ago I got on the Interstate behind a black no stripe Shelby and wanted to see more of the car. He was in the left lane so I pulled into the right to check him out and he downshifted and hammered it. I was in 6th stepped on the gas and nothing, he left me in the dust :(

zzyzx

Steve
boro92 said:
I guessed wrong!

The only car I've driven that pulls effortlessly in top gear at 60-70 is my wifes 335d, but then again it makes 425 TQ @ about 1800 RPM. :)

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
boro92 said:
Yup. Thanks for the info.
Trust me, I'm all for the good footwork :D I'm dropping into 5th or even 4th on the highway (4th gear is for fun, really) to pass people. 6th just doesn't do it. I know it's a pretty aggressive overdrive, but just wanted to be certain that this was normal. It's my first V8, and I thought perhaps the mad torque of the V8 would make the overdrive feel a bit different. I guessed wrong!

You have to remember the Boss engine makes its' peak power at or near the red line. When loping along at 2,000 rpm....it's pretty docile. Drop a gear or two.....I don't think you'll have much complaining to do about passing power ;).

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors