The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No road course in Tennessee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here in Knoxville we are at least 125 miles away from the nearest road course. That would be road Atlanta . It's very frustrating for me here. The next best thing is at Deals Gap and The Tail of the Dragon. If your an old biker like me you know all about the dragon. Anyway it's not a road course but 118 curves in 11 miles. A lot of fun on a bike and a sports car but it's a two lane road. No room for error. Anyone coming this way give me a shout out and we can hook up for that. We country boys have been racing these backroads for years but we need a track.

The closest road course to me is 200 miles and the next two closest are 275 miles. I go to one of them a couple weekends a month. You guys in the South are spoiled. :p

My bad. Not 125 miles away. Road Atlanta is a good four to five hour drive from my house. Depending on the Atlanta traffic. When I go to the bike races every year I always rode my bike. Maybe we are spoiled in some ways. I just don't have the means or the time to travel that far on the weekends. Do you trailer yours to the track or drive it there and back? I am new to track racing. It seems a lot more involved than I thought. I've got a lot to learn. We do have a lot of dirt tracks and dragstrips nearby but I have been wanting to get more into the road courses. I envy you guys that get to do that.

I was yanking your chain a little bit with the spoiled comment. I do trailer which actually makes the drive longer in some ways, but more convenient to bring extra tires, parts, tools, fuel etc. You're right it can get pretty involved, but I started out driving to and from the tracks and "run what ya brung."

Sfsmartp said:
Here in Knoxville we are at least 125 miles away from the nearest road course. That would be road Atlanta . It's very frustrating for me here. The next best thing is at Deals Gap and The Tail of the Dragon. If your an old biker like me you know all about the dragon. Anyway it's not a road course but 118 curves in 11 miles. A lot of fun on a bike and a sports car but it's a two lane road. No room for error. Anyone coming this way give me a shout out and we can hook up for that. We country boys have been racing these backroads for years but we need a track.

Hey there ol' biker buddy. I drove my Boss out there from Dallas last October to visit my brother who lives in Sevierville. He also works at the Harley dealer there, his name is Scott (in sales). Anyway, he took a day off work and he showed me the Dragons Tail. It was raining lightly and after a few curves I started to get on it. Man, I tell ya, those Pirelli tires in the wet really hooked up. I only slipped a little when there was wet leaves on the road. Man, I hammered that road and as we came up on cars, they would all pull off the road so I didn't have to slow up. Well trained drivers! Since it was raining there was very little traffic. I didn't see them but 2 different photographers took lots of pictures of my car as we raced up the mountain. My brother had taken his Harley up there many times but when we made it to the top he looked at me and said he nearly puked several times. Damn, that's one nice road.
To get some track experience make sure to sign up for the Track Attack in Utah. I'm going later this month.
Take it easy.

Dave

drano38

Wayne
Sfsmartp,
Welcome to the track addiction. ;D
I'll drive 4 hours tomorrow to a track near Omaha. Nothing's close up here.
One year ago, I had never been on a track. Now I'm hooked. Trailer, track wheels, etc.
It can be done with lots of toys, or it can be done basic. So keep it simple, and get as involved as you want.
If your scedule allows a few track events a year, run the stock tires until wore out, then find a suitable daily/track tire. Most light duty track brake pads can be drivin to/from. Or change pads at track (assuming the compound is compatible with your street pads).
Of course, if you want to go big--a trailer, 2 sets of track wheels, spare rotors, etc. will make a great setup.

Hey Dave . I probably know Scott . I'm in there quite a bit. I also have a step brother working there in sales. His last name is Sharpe. I like the cruiser type bikes. Owned many of them but the sport bikes are a lot more fun for me. Since I injured my back I can't really ride but I do enjoy working on them and making a few bucks. That's why I got back into sport cars. Easier on my back. I've been riding the dragon all my life and still enjoy it. I have a few close friends that died on that road. No room for error. Anyway I want to track the boss and I do plan on going to Utah but haven't made the plans yet. I am getting a lot of good info here on this forum. Next time you come up give me a shout and we will own the dragon.

Drano38, thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. I'd really like a trailer and truck to haul the boss to the track but I'll have to save my money. One more year of child support and I will be good to go. I will be going to Road Atlanta soon for the AMA superbike races and will try and get more info about tracking the boss there. I may go to the dragon on Friday and time my runs just for a little fun but it's not the same.

Sfsmartp said:
Hey Dave . I probably know Scott . I'm in there quite a bit. I also have a step brother working there in sales. His last name is Sharpe. I like the cruiser type bikes. Owned many of them but the sport bikes are a lot more fun for me. Since I injured my back I can't really ride but I do enjoy working on them and making a few bucks. That's why I got back into sport cars. Easier on my back. I've been riding the dragon all my life and still enjoy it. I have a few close friends that died on that road. No room for error. Anyway I want to track the boss and I do plan on going to Utah but haven't made the plans yet. I am getting a lot of good info here on this forum. Next time you come up give me a shout and we will own the dragon.

Yeah man, you got some pretty places out there. I bet you do know my brother. He has been at that Harley dealer for maybe 5 years. What ever chance you get try to race your Boss. It's heavy but very toss-able with the Pirelli rubber. Lately I've just been throwing parts on my Boss. There's a good chance I'll be out there sometime because we have my mom's old house for sale in Crossville. Tell Scott that his brother Dave has been in contact with you and we can party down. Old enough to know better but old enough not to care. I got rid of my child support payments 5 years ago - went on a 3 day bender.

3 day bender sounds good. I've been paying it for about 16 years now. It was two kids and now I left. About another year and I will have a lot more funds to put into my toys. I will look Scott up next time I'm over there and tell him what you said. By the way how do you like the borla exhaust over stock. I like to make a lot of noise but still want a good sound. I was a little dissapointed when I got my boss and it didn't sound like the same car on the ford video. I like to here the cam you know what I mean? The Lopez idle isn't the same. I wonder if that can be changed to sound more lumpy?

Sfsmartp said:
3 day bender sounds good. I've been paying it for about 16 years now. It was two kids and now I left. About another year and I will have a lot more funds to put into my toys. I will look Scott up next time I'm over there and tell him what you said. By the way how do you like the borla exhaust over stock. I like to make a lot of noise but still want a good sound. I was a little dissapointed when I got my boss and it didn't sound like the same car on the ford video. I like to here the cam you know what I mean? The Lopez idle isn't the same. I wonder if that can be changed to sound more lumpy?

My brother Scott was paying child support on 2 kids but I think he is done. It sure frees up some major bucks.
I decided on the Borla S-type Stingers after looking closely at everything. The Stingers are the medium axel backs from Borla. The A-tacks are the really loud ones. My Stingers are about what I was looking for. At idle they are a bit louder than stock. At cruising speed they are quiet with no drone. When you get on it they roar like a mofo. For me they are just right. Lifetime warranty and the tips are 4-1/2". Best thing to do is go to: Borla.com and check the out. The guy David Borla tests all 3 axel backs and and you ride along as he puts them through the wringer. They actually engineer the sound. They ain't cheep but they have won me over. I didn't know this but Borla makes some of the Ford Racing mufflers. I bought mine through Mustangs Unlimited but check out all the online Mustang suppliers because you might find something on sale.

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors