The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No-tune Airaid CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs magazine today....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posted this in the "What did you do to your Boss today" thread, but figured it would be worthwhile to post here as well...

Did a dyno test/ tech feature for 5.0 Mustang magazine today. KJ Jones, senior tech editor for 5.0, was at GTR high performance today testing the Airaid carbon fiber no-tune CAI. He used my Boss as it is stock engine-wise with a stock CAI. I really wish I could share the results, they are definitely exciting. The feature will be in an upcoming issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords. Most likely May-June. It will be a great article with both silver and red key testing. We haven't had any definitive real-world Boss no-tune CAI tests published and this one will reveal the truth once and for all!

500506E5-6A26-4F1F-A6F0-2D920D6AF513_zpsljikbt3w.jpg

68FCAC99-47FF-4E0D-A607-5C8A54BCC6EC_zpsvz0s3djf.jpg

AWESOME looking Parnelli Jones edition carbon fiber CAI with coil-cover-matching blue filter...

C4318625-7BAE-4D44-AD01-65FD33E066B5_zpsjjbyg4cv.jpg

3B795794-6536-4706-BCD0-349DD9A76E04_zpsyz0kjoib.jpg

No-tune Airraid CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs magazine today....

Wow, looks great against SBY!

BTW, nice overflow tank. Have to look at one of those...

So the purpose of this article is to determine if an aftermarket CAI with no tune actually increases HP like Airaid claims?

IMG_2032_zpsc0feb852.jpg

HP gains are the general idea. Back-to-back testing on same day, same conditions. I don't know though that it's to specifically validate any claims made by the manufacturer. That part is above my pay grade. However, there were several interesting results that developed during testing. Can't give them away but they will be of interest to a lot of Boss owners.

Looks good on blue too :) The CPC fuse box cover is cleeeeean....

Good before and after shots:

E1F-1CC234FDCC59-1362-000000E0716F9ADF_zps9e3a90a6.jpg

C4318625-7BAE-4D44-AD01-65FD33E066B5_zpsjjbyg4cv.jpg

AFAIR Airaid stated up to 18 hp and the previous dyno chart showed that it fattened up the midrange but there were no peak gains. From previous TK dyno charts there were basically no gains, no surprise there since Ford Racing never claimed any, but the A/F mixture was on the lean side. Also removing the stock exhaust discs gains you about 3 hp. You found something different than that?

Thanks, too bad the fuse cover didn't come with five ribs to match the intake.

I'll say the results were, "different." But by how much and where I'm not really at liberty to discuss. I was excited at the results, that I can say. Not that it tells you a whole lot more, but I do have to respect KJ's on-going efforts to provide real-world dyno testing results for 5.0 Mustangs mag and the need to be politely vague about the details. Trust me, it's hardest for me to keep it a secret :)

RRBoss302 said:
I'll say the results were, "different." But by how much and where I'm not really at liberty to discuss. I was excited at the results, that I can say. Not that it tells you a whole lot more, but I do have to respect KJ's on-going efforts to provide real-world dyno testing results for 5.0 Mustangs mag and the need to be politely vague about the details. Trust me, it's hardest for me to keep it a secret :)

Are you keeping the CAI? Or are you impressed enough to want to get that one? May-June is a long time...:p

Thanks
Chris

Yes, the Airaid CAI is staying on my car. Would be hard to put that stock one back on. The looks of the carbon fiber CAI alone are outstanding.

RRBoss302 said:
Yes, the Airaid CAI is staying on my car. Would be hard to put that stock one back on. The looks of the carbon fiber CAI alone are outstanding.

Nice, If it starts looking ugly on your Race Red, let me know, I will take that off your hands..:p
How did you get so lucky to get picked? If they are ever in NJ or Philadelphia area and need a stock boss for some testing, pls drop my info to them...:p

Take care and happy Thanksgiving
Chris

Smilieboy said:
So we have to wait till May to see the results? What kind of BS is that?

SOP for these kinds of magazine tests/ tech features. Just the way it works and has been for years.

I think that it might likely be (at least) as good as what they did for this 444hp machine
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/engine/install-and-dyno-test-airaid-carbon-fiber-mxp-intake-for-1le-camaro/

For anyone considering this modification as I am, Late Model Restoration has this CAI kit on sale during it's Black Friday sale valid through 6 Dec for $375.00

BadPony said:
For anyone considering this modification as I am, Late Model Restoration has this CAI kit on sale during it's Black Friday sale valid through 6 Dec for $375.00

Wow... Nice find. That's an amazing price on the carbon fiber version. They are $600 everywhere else. Bet they sell out soon!

So is this just the Airaid carbon fiber no-tune CAI for the 2011-2014 GT, or boss specific? Or is it the MXP carbon fiber series cold air intake with the SynthaMax filter?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/airaid-cold-air-intake-kit-mxp-series-carbon-fiber-with-synthamax-filter-gt-2011-2014/p/CAK136/

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AID-451177/Mustang-Airaid-Cold-Air-Kit-Carbon-Fiber-12-13

TMO Supporting Vendors