The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Noise when I popped the clutch,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, took the Boss out for another break-in session and since it now has over 500 miles I figured it'd be okay to test out the 2-step and the J&M lower control arms that I installed.

After a good warm up drive I brought it up to the pre-set RPM of 2500, popped the clutch and as soon as I did the was a pop or clunk from what sounded like the rear end.

It seems I have read somewhere on here that is from the upper control arm. I have done a search and can't find it though.

Has anyone experienced this noise?

By the way, there was absolutly no wheel-hop in first or second, just a nice smooth burning of the tires, oh how sweet it is!

I didn't try it again, I wanted to come here and see what others thought first.

I had the same thing happen pretty much. After my initial break in I decided to run it through the gears, I did a hard acceleration in first and hit second pretty hard. That's when I heard an extremely loud BANG. It was so loud my wife said "you broke it" I actually thought I broke an axle or something. Did a short burn out just to make sure. Everything has been fine since and I did inspect the rear suspension, nothing visually wrong. Don't know what it was but man it scared me.

You say you have eliminated wheel hop with the new LCAs? I am getting tired of the wheel hop already, and I don't even run it hard on the street that much. But when I do, I get a lot. I was considering an adjustable panhard bar first to correct the offset the rear has.

LCAs are supposed to help a lot with hop, there are threads here that talk about it vs the panhard bar.

People here told me that there is no real issues with the 8.8 busting from hop in the Boss, but I have seen plenty of them explode on other cars so it is cheap insurance imo if you are going to be dragging the car to get the LCAs.

Tflong24 said:
I had the same thing happen pretty much. After my initial break in I decided to run it through the gears, I did a hard acceleration in first and hit second pretty hard. That's when I heard an extremely loud BANG. It was so loud my wife said "you broke it" I actually thought I broke an axle or something. Did a short burn out just to make sure. Everything has been fine since and I did inspect the rear suspension, nothing visually wrong. Don't know what it was but man it scared me.

That's good to hear you haven't had any issues since, yea, my Lady said "what was that noise, something break?! I kinda thought I may have snapped something too, normal driving, all is okay so far.
I'll have to try another and see. Maybe just everything seating itself in the drive train. I crawled under the rear too and didn't see anything unusual. :)

Tflong24 said:
You say you have eliminated wheel hop with the new LCAs? I am getting tired of the wheel hop already, and I don't even run it hard on the street that much. But when I do, I get a lot. I was considering an adjustable panhard bar first to correct the offset the rear has.

There was absolutly no wheel hop with me just changing the lowers.

Temps were in the high 50s and on asphalt, it did spin all the way through 1st and half way through 2nd.

I would think the panhard bar wouldn't do much to stop it. My '03 Mach1 didn't come with a panhard bar at all, it would wheel hop until I put on the control arms too. I did add a Maximum Motorsports panhard bar to it though and that was one of the best things I have done to the Mach to improve it's handling.

I was really glad to see Ford finally put the panhard bar on from the Factory with the S197s.

hi hot rod found what you wrote interesting which part number did you go with from j&m sku23861 orsku29342 orsku23862 the aluminum one .just getting some feed back bebore i order one thankyou.

mustang920 said:
hi hot rod found what you wrote interesting which part number did you go with from j&m sku23861 orsku29342 orsku23862 the aluminum one .just getting some feed back bebore i order one thankyou.

I got the J&M lower control arms from LM Performance their # is 0018744, which looks like they are sku23861.

mustang920 said:
thankyou for the info hotrod .going to give them a call and have a set shiped out.

Hey, you're welcome!

LM Performance has a pretty good price on them now and free shipping according to their site.

I don't know where you were planning on ordering from and I am not affiliated with LMP, just letting a fellow Forum member in on their deal.

Ok, "FINALLY" got to the track to test out the control arms............forget it, they did not do anything for wheel hop in a well prepped track!

Been 8 months since I first posted about this but when I went to the the strip last weekend the Boss wheel hopped all the way through 1st and 2nd.

The reason it took me so long to try it was I had to be away from my Boss for 6 months of that time working out of town, and my local strip was closed down for $$$$$ reasons before that.

I had this feeling that it'd hop in the glue at the track even though in my drive way it didn't.

I ordered the Steeda upper adjustable Control arm and will be installing this weekend, then if all goes well I'll try again at the track the next weekend.

I sure hope this cures the hop!

Sesshomurai

Tflong24 said:

Probably kicked a rock up into the chassis.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have only the steeda adjustable upper and I have no hop...even on a sticky drag strip. I run pretty consistant 1.9x 60 ft on street tires.

The upper will fix your hop issue. Can't say what the clunking is on your launch, but I have heard some when I don't heel-toe to the right rpm. The axle winds up and has a terrible "BANG!!!" when it breaks free. Tells me there is way too much play in controlling the pinion angle. It's an item on my radar, but not an emergency issue.

pufferfish said:
I have only the steeda adjustable upper and I have no hop...even on a sticky drag strip. I run pretty consistant 1.9x 60 ft on street tires.

The upper will fix your hop issue. Can't say what the clunking is on your launch, but I have heard some when I don't heel-toe to the right rpm. The axle winds up and has a terrible "BANG!!!" when it breaks free. Tells me there is way too much play in controlling the pinion angle. It's an item on my radar, but not an emergency issue.

Your right, I installed the Steeda adjustable upper and it stopped wheel hopping. Even in the sticky! But, the sad part is, it transmitted the rear end noise so much I couldn't stand it. I had to put the stock arm back in so I could drive it on the Interstate at speed. Seems I'm not the only one with this noise either.

TMO Supporting Vendors