The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Protector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Here's some pics for the nomex radiator protector I just installed. I can't take credit for the idea nor the sourcing of the Nomex, but safe to say if he wishes to he can step forward. The nomex honeycomb was purchased from Speedway Motors in Lincoln, NE (http://www.speedwaymotors.com, (800) 979-0211). Cost of the nomex is $19.99 per sheet (you only need one) and the install time is about 10 minutes. This is by far the best bang for the buck mod I've done so far. The lower section of the A/C condenser coils were already starting to get bent in from rocks, bugs and tire marbles. This should protect it 100% without impacting air flow.

Part: Nomex Honey Comb 19x26
Part #: 917-34215

Install Instrucitons:

1) Remove shroud over radiator
2) Remove hood latch assembly
3) Cut nomex sheet with razor blade to 24" wide. Sheets come 19" high (which is what we want) by 26" wide.
4) Lowering the nomex from the top, place nomex 24" bottom edge inside "U" channel gulley that is in front of radiator. This will secure the bottom of the nomex in place.
5) To the left and right of the radiator you will see rubber seals that butt up against the radiator, they are very flexible. Work each side so the rubber seal ends up in front of the nomex. This will hold the sides of the nomex in place.
6) Replace hood latch assembly
7) Replace shroud over radiator

Top View
IMG_20120611_160016.jpg

You can see the right side rubber side seals here easily
IMG_20120611_160106.jpg

Bottom view
IMG_20120611_160036.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'll be monitoring closely. I have a theory that they may be lower, we'll see if my guess is correct.

PS: ANOTHER MOD THAT GARY DOESN'T HAVE !! PUT IN IN THE BOOKS !! ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm guessing it won't hurt but I won't know until I get it out on the track. I have the Aeroforce gauge to watch the coolant and head temps closely. The walls of the nomex are VERY thin so it won't deflect much air at all. What I'm hoping for is that since the air travels through the nomex honeycomb 'channels' before hitting the radiator the air will hit the radiator surface with less turbulence. This may mean it provides a smoother and more efficient airflow. Or I could be dreaming... ;D

Looking at my "thrashed" a/c condenser today, it occurred to me.....it's fricking HUGE! Does it really need to be that big? Is there an after-market condenser that's smaller.....maybe from a Fiesta ??? If we could cut that thing in half it would really help I think.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Looking at my "thrashed" a/c condenser today, it occurred to me.....it's fricking HUGE! Does it really need to be that big? Is there an after-market condenser that's smaller.....maybe from a Fiesta ??? If we could cut that thing in half it would really help I think.

What do you mean by "thrashed" ? How many cooling vanes are blocked off ??

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

What do you mean by "thrashed" ? How many cooling vanes are blocked off ??
Say 75%....

cloud9 said:

If you do something like this it may work but you would have to fabricate a new way to close off the air flow from the grille to the radiator. The condenser in there now is setup for that. I took my hood latch out with the Tiger hood and now I can close off that hole up top, any place air can escape between the grille and radiator is not good.

PeteInCT said:
Here's some pics for the nomex radiator protector I just installed.

Now all you need is "splitter protection" :D

CIMG3007.jpg
CIMG3006.jpg
CIMG3005.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
My Nomex protector just shipped. Will install this first thing after the hood struts. What size plastic washers should I pick up to keep the paint from getting scratched from the redline brackets?

GA
PeteInCT said:
Not so loud ! The wife has ESP (especially when the bills come in) ;D

Does she have the app that turns the UPS truck around before it gets to the house? I hear they have one for that now. ;D

I'd like more input on temp effects. I had the silver LS at the track attack and with temps in the mid 80's, the water temp was never below 220. That's with the racing radiator and a real oil cooler. In my opinion that is marginal at best. In 100 degree days I wonder what it gets to?

I noticed that the AC condensers were pulled on the Track Attack Bosses when they installed the Ford Racing radiators and air to oil coolers. Might have been mostly for fitting ease, but removing it should increase air flow as well. Don't they also have the 302R grills as well?

Sealing the air flow through the radiator is sound practice and ducting out of the engine compartment is another thing that needs attention. The hood louvers seem to be a great addition from racing experience and evolving design from Ford.

The reason the condensers are so large is that the current refrigerant is not as efficient as the old R-12.

Mike

BossDuke said:
I'd like more input on temp effects. I had the silver LS at the track attack and with temps in the mid 80's, the water temp was never below 220. That's with the racing radiator and a real oil cooler. In my opinion that is marginal at best. In 100 degree days I wonder what it gets to?

I noticed that the AC condensers were pulled on the Track Attack Bosses when they installed the Ford Racing radiators and air to oil coolers. Might have been mostly for fitting ease, but removing it should increase air flow as well. Don't they also have the 302R grills as well?

Sealing the air flow through the radiator is sound practice and ducting out of the engine compartment is another thing that needs attention. The hood louvers seem to be a great addition from racing experience and evolving design from Ford.

The reason the condensers are so large is that the current refrigerant is not as efficient as the old R-12.

Mike
I hit 255 coolant temp in 98 degree weather at MPH in early May. That's with the 302S radiator, FRPP air-to-oil cooler, Tiger Racing vented hood and 302S grille (removed at that point). I didn't go into limp mode but had to be on the verge. The dummy gauge was pegged to "H" and the red thermostat lamp was displayed on my speedometer. In my case I really think it's an airflow issue to the radiator. The oil temps were peaking around 235-240 so the oil was staying cool which makes sense since the finned cooler is mounted in front of the A/C condenser. I just had my A/C condenser replaced, but if you look at the pics in this thread you can see how badly it was blocked:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/lower-grill-inserts-who-wants-one/75/

TMO Supporting Vendors