The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nomex ... inside out and head to toe ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Naples, FL
How deep have you gone with nomex? What would you recommend?

Here is a list of what I bought a little while back. I left the prices to give you an idea.

I got all this from Competition Motorsport. Talking on the phone and/or through email was beneficial, at least with that company. They paid attention to detail, such as the balaclava having a seam in the wrong place (or not).

Two things I can unequivocally recommend: racing shoes / boots and racing gloves

I'm looking to add socks and a suit. maybe nomex underwear as well and would like input from those who gradually went all in.

My immediate plans are sticking with track days but you never know when you might push the button on an open-wheel training :D

As far "it's only a track day" I took the bottom photo at a track day I was at ....
Started in the engine bay ….

Walero Keep Your Cool Nomex Balaclava. (THIS HAS BEEN OK. I'M NOT SOLD ON IT BUT IT DOES COVER THE NECK)
SKU: 400020-CG-Small/Medium
ColorCool Grey SizeSmall/Medium
1$79.00
Sparco Race 2 Racing Shoe (THESE HAVE BEEN GREAT!)
SKU: 001272-095-N
Size9.5 ColorBlack
1$100.00
Alpinestars Tech 1 Race Nomex Gloves (THESE HAVE BEEN OK. I SHOULD HAVE SPENT THE COIN ON SEAMS-OUT GLOVES)
SKU: 3551117-551-L
ColorYellow/Black Glove SizeL
1$79.95
Alpinestars ZX Nomex Fireproof Shirt (ITS OK. NOMEX CERTAINLY HAS ITS OWN 'HAND' TO IT)
SKU: 74754512-92A-X2X
ColorGrey ZX LS Size:XL/2XL
1$69.95

IMG_1482.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Several of the people I race with have these suits. I don't, but it will be my next. They are essentially like wearing a light wind breaker.

I like the 3.2a 5 or 10 spec, this way the underwear is not required, but if you do use it, it bumps it up to a higher rating. I also like 1 piece suits because the jacket wont pull up and expose flesh as you thread your way through the roll cage.
SFI RatingTPP ValueTime to 2nd Degree Burn
3.2A/1​
6​
3 Seconds​
3.2A/3​
14​
7 Seconds​
3.2A/5​
19​
10 Seconds​
3.2A/10​
38​
19 Seconds​
3.2A/15​
60​
30 Seconds​
3.2A/20​
80​
40 Seconds​

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Aptos, CA
I've been using a one-piece 3.2A/5 for years, with boxers and tee and it's fine. Just for HPDE and track days, but it's my life, even use a NecksGen. Not too hot in CA temps but much better than what I see at tracks where some groups allow: shorts, tees and no gloves!! That picture just doesn't even look right to me.

I've been using a one-piece 3.2A/5 for years, with boxers and tee and it's fine. Just for HPDE and track days, but it's my life, even use a NecksGen. Not too hot in CA temps but much better than what I see at tracks where some groups allow: shorts, tees and no gloves!! That picture just doesn't even look right to me.
Yeah, it's kind of crazy seeing some guy get out of a car with a Snell carbon helmet and Hans, wearing a tee shirt, shorts and sneakers

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
I Started racing formula cars way back in the mid 70's, back when the risk of being seriously injured or killed by fire was greater then that of the collision itself. So I have always gone to the track with head to toe nomex, which includes socks. I dont use nomex undies but do wear a two layer 1 pc suit. Old habits are hard to beat. I hope this old habit will never be put to the test.

TMO Supporting Vendors