The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

nominal pressure increases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK this is for you guys that do pressures incorrectly, as I have stated before, hot ALWAYS dictates cold, but for some bizarre reason people keep asking me about cold pressures..well I have no idea what cold pressures you should run, every tire, brand, type, size and application is different. I have composed a nominal set of pressure increases but it is a composite of a bunch of different tires, sizes and applications. It's just a general rule of thumb, to do it right you will still need to do the mapping sequence, but if you want a shot in the dark, then this should help...maybe.
So if you kind of know what your hots need to be, this can be used as a starting cold pressure..clearly the whole 30 front 28 rear (or whatever) doesn't work as both sides of the car are different. These were all done with slicks, so what treaded tires might do..I'm not sure.

ivky0Y6.jpg

@blacksheep-1 , based on your extensive experience, a few questions on measuring air pressure:

1. What is the most accurate, an analog, or digital gauge?

2. If analog, is it better to use a 0-40psi gauge or 0-60psi. Fluid filled or not?

3. Do you have any brand preferences?
I us Longacre products exclusively, digital
this is my go to gauge right now along with a backup. I stay away from the "temperature compensated" gauges because I like to do my own calculations on that and it changes depending on a lot of variables. If I could change anything on this gauge it would be that it would have 3 dump valves instead of just 2.
I have 2 of thes egauges and one of their less expensive gauges and once pe ryear I send them to Longacre to be serviced.

Thanks! About how much do they charge for the service and how long is their turnaround time?

I'm sort of on the buddy system there since I use nothing but their stuff and Phoenix wins a lot of races, I get charged, but not much, they turn stuff around in about 3 weeks depending on their backlog. That it why I have 3 gauges, my 2 pro gauges and the backup. IF one of the guys needs to borrow a gauge, they get the backup, if I need to send one of the pro gauges in, I still have 1 pro and the backup. Rarely do I send all 3 gauges in at once to have them sync'd but I was able to do that last year.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel