The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Non-Drilling Front License Plate Holder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know of a solution to hold a front license plate without having to do any permanent damage to the front bumper? I'm in CO which requires a front plate, and I really would like to not molest the car.

Thanks guys, that looks like what I was looking for. (Craigs)

With the remote one, it looks neat but I wonder how well it actually hols the plate at speed. A friend of mine had one on his pickup of all things and it got ripped off while driving on a windy day.

I will second, third, and fourth Craig's Custom Brackets. I have them on multiple Mustangs. The mounting bracket on the Boss is really slick. I like it.

4dRacer, I don't have one yet as my plates have not shown up. Someone posted that in another thread.

I have heard nothing but great reviews about the Craig's and will get one if I end up running a front plate. They are required here but you only get tickets if you park in public lots. I was wondering if it worked with the Boss as it has the plastic liner under there where it connects, but people said it is not an issue. If you are worried about scuffs, you can put some stick on pads behind it and just make sure you wax under them. But nobody that I have heard of has had issues.

The retractable may be illegal in some states. I received a ticket here on Long Island that I am going to court over based on the wording on the summons. From a height perspective it is illegal in the state of New York.

98RedGT

2012 #552
CaliMR said:
4dRacer, I don't have one yet as my plates have not shown up. Someone posted that in another thread.

I have heard nothing but great reviews about the Craig's and will get one if I end up running a front plate. They are required here but you only get tickets if you park in public lots. I was wondering if it worked with the Boss as it has the plastic liner under there where it connects, but people said it is not an issue. If you are worried about scuffs, you can put some stick on pads behind it and just make sure you wax under them. But nobody that I have heard of has had issues.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll admit my ignorance here...what's the big deal with drilling the bumper, especially if you plan to drive it fairly regularly on the street? My dealer did ask me before they did it, but we have to have front plates here, so I didn't think it was that big a deal.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I kind of agree. If you are going to track the car the bumper is going to be in need some TLC at some point. Patching up the holes if you want to sell the car is a small additional expense to the paint it's going to need anyway. ;D

It gives the option to take it off when you don't need it without leaving holes (the dimples don't look great imo either) and if you sell it, people in no front plate states will try to haggle you down based on it. Steve Jobs bought a new car every 3 months just to avoid having to have plates, it is all a matter of preference.

Right. I've had people haggle with me over the condition of the car due to the plates.
I also prefer the factory lines enough to seek an alternative where I don't have to unnecessarily molest the car. Its not critical to me, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

98RedGT

2012 #552
askjeffro said:
Right. I've had people haggle with me over the condition of the car due to the plates.
I also prefer the factory lines enough to seek an alternative where I don't have to unnecessarily molest the car. Its not critical to me, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

+1

TMO Supporting Vendors