The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys!

I'm new to the track stuff...been drag draing way too long!!

So I bought a Boss and went to Daytona...Wow what a great time!!!

I'd like some thoughts from you seasoned vets!!

I have a JLT CAI, UPR x, and Lund tune.

I was able to pick up a bunch of parts off a guy trading his car in....here's what I got

Dyno tech drive shaft
MGW shifter
Ford Racing rear end cover
Metco LCA and relo brkts
American Racing Headers
Magna Flow street series cat back

Thinking about some P springs, hawk or Pagid pads, and brake cooling ducts?

Any thoughts about anything else I need?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

I'm no veteran but maybe add tires/wheels?
Like in drag racing, important.

What did you drag btw and what were your best numbers?

I dabble in it (until they closed fontana) with my charger. Ran a best of 11.79 @ 114 with a 1.68 60

My Shelby went 9.38 151.89 with a 6-speed....I think my best radial pass was 9.49..drove it the track with the a/c on and drove it home. I have a X275 car too that's almost done. It's for 1/8 mile stuff should run 4.70's...that's like 7.30's in the 1/4 at about 190mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1bFu3lCDvU

Are you buying that gear off of Justin?

Brakes and tires will yield the greatest results in improving lap times.

I got the parts off Austin on SVTP.

Wheels and tires are next...18's? I've been talking to Van at Revan Racing about some stuff.

I found the tire selection is much wider at 18"...also cheaper...so I went that route for my track tires. I'm sure everyone will have a different size or preference....I went for 275/35 on all 4.

Pete and I both started out using Hawk DTC60 pads...but we both felt that they (1) ate your rotors for breakfast and (2) didn't last long enough. To each is own...he went with Pagid, and I'm going for Carbotech xp12 and xp10.

If you are going to lower the car with springs...don't forget to get an adjustable panhard bar..you need it to center the chassis over the suspension after lowering.

kpetronis said:
I found the tire selection is much wider at 18"...also cheaper...so I went that route for my track tires. I'm sure everyone will have a different size or preference....I went for 275/35 on all 4.

Pete and I both started out using Hawk DTC60 pads...but we both felt that they (1) ate your rotors for breakfast and (2) didn't last long enough. To each is own...he went with Pagid, and I'm going for Carbotech xp12 and xp10.

If you are going to lower the car with springs...don't forget to get an adjustable panhard bar..you need it to center the chassis over the suspension after lowering.

Gotcha and thanks!

Justin is getting rid of his?

For the pads: Hawk pads dust a LOT. And it isn't fairy dust, it is nuclear fallout dust. I have run Hawk Blues for years on my dedicated track car and I love them (street and track) except for the dust. It is hard to get off, and if it gets wet then it turns to something like lava rock which I have yet to figure out how to get off as I still have some on my wheels from a very wet track day years ago. And it rusts. On a car like the Boss, I wouldn't use them. I haven't tried the Pagid yet, but I have a set on order from Track Day Solutions and have heard good things about them. I also have experience with Ferrodos which did not impress at all. I'm sure others here will chime in, but I just wanted to warn you about the Hawk dust.

Sesshomurai

CaliMR said:
Justin is getting rid of his?

For the pads: Hawk pads dust a LOT. And it isn't fairy dust, it is nuclear fallout dust. I have run Hawk Blues for years on my dedicated track car and I love them (street and track) except for the dust. It is hard to get off, and if it gets wet then it turns to something like lava rock which I have yet to figure out how to get off as I still have some on my wheels from a very wet track day years ago. And it rusts. On a car like the Boss, I wouldn't use them. I haven't tried the Pagid yet, but I have a set on order from Track Day Solutions and have heard good things about them. I also have experience with Ferrodos which did not impress at all. I'm sure others here will chime in, but I just wanted to warn you about the Hawk dust.

I run Hawk Blues now. And they are really great, yes. The dusting is a hassle, I agree, but the way the compound is designed, that dust occurs to prevent harder damage to your rotors. In other words, the pad is giving way to extreme friction before it grinds your rotors to pieces, so like most decisions in the braking department its a matter of tradeoffs.

I'm very curious about a set of pads that can provide the best of all worlds: rotor life, pad life, performance and maintenance (dusting).

Haven't tried pagid or carbotech yet though.

drano38

Wayne
Tony,
You've got a pretty good list of mods there already.
I'd suggest brake cooling kit, DOT 4 fluid, good pads (I'm running Carbotech, but Pagid may be next), and the tranny cooler.
Then get track experience to decide whats next.
Yes, 18" wheels are the way to go. But first decide if you want to stay staggered, or go square. If square, Enkei 18x9.5" are popular (I've got 2 sets), but D-Force makes 18x10 which lets you get even wider tires. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/strong-light-inexpensive-wheels-18x10-d-force-502882/
If you go square, one or 2 Strano sway bars will make it work. I installed both.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=870&CategoryID=200&ModelID=35

Darren, I may send you a PM to avoid cluttering the intro thread too much, but I have found the opposite with Blues in that they destroy rotors very quickly. This has held true on two very different track cars (though I have not tried them on the Boss yet), as well as has been the general consensus for the people I have talked to about it. Extreme wear and cracking, and bad gouging. The performance can't be argued with though, I really hope the Pagids are close.

Seems like a lot of people have the tranny cooler...do you think it really necessary? My car is a daily driver, and I also drive my car to track with the 18" wheels on which lowers me further...I'm afraid of scraping the cooler on the ground either at home, or on my way to the event. Do ya'll think this is fathomable or not really?

Its not an expensive mod at all, but something about just fixing a shovel head to the bottom of my car for "cooling" just seems....hokey. I *will* say that during a track event my shifter would get difficult and would lock me out of getting into 5th once or twice an event which pissed me off...but then I installed the Barton 2-post bracket and that stopped happening (since it keeps everything more rigid and that slopping rubber bushing doesn't get all mushy).

So - answer me this (to those who have taken their car to events pre-cooler and post-cooler): Does your car shift easier during the event than it used to, and what shifter are you using (stock, MGW, Barton, etc)?

The cooler is not going to help it shift better....Just sayin...

When I was at Daytona I was arm wrestling that thing into 4th and 5th most of the time...The factory shifter is crap. John with the LS was there having the same problem.

I was skipping 4th a few times coming out on the banking because it wouldn't go in.

I had issues at a track day that peaked at 60 degrees ambient and was a little wet, with the shovel, and not running it particularly hard. I suspect it will help the fluid last a little longer, and may keep temps from busting the tranny I hope, but it will not help with shifting. I really don't think heat is the issue, at least not in the tranny (clutch boiling is a different story, but they don't have a shovel for that yet).

TMO Supporting Vendors