The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Not all 19" wheels will fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased four Forgestar F14 19x11ET56 wheels from their 35% off black Friday sale before I even had the car. I was going to use them for track wheels with a 30mm spacer in the front. I finally received all of the hardware today just to find out that the wheel won't clear the front brake caliper. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The inside barrel changes diameter at two different locations on the wheel. The Forgestar hits the leading and trailing edge of the brake caliper.

Stock wheel (note line near the weight)
https://goo.gl/photos/LVQ8s22YLm2JH6R96

Forgestar F14
https://goo.gl/photos/7zfcXxUY6iuKJDyP6

Anybody want a set of four never mounted F14s?

Well that's a bummer. Supposedly the F5's have more clearance so maybe you can exchange them. I'd also call Vorschlag in TX and see if they know what clears the brakes.

Could you measure the inner barrel diameter? would be good to see where the go/no go point is. Conversely you could measure from the hub center to the outermost part of the caliper to get the minimum radius needed

krt22 said:
Could you measure the inner barrel diameter? would be good to see where the go/no go point is. Conversely you could measure from the hub center to the outermost part of the caliper to get the minimum radius needed

I'd like to but I don't have anything accurate enough. You would need a FARO arm or something similar. I believe that line is where they start the flow forming process on the barrel. If that line were half an inch closer to the spokes then I think it would work. It only interferes by a couple of thousandths of an inch, though that's without any air gap to the caliper.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Gosh, that is a shame. Sorry to learn of this, but I have to say, I would press hard on the vendor for a return credit. For the barrel not to clear the 4 piston Brembo's is something that they should have known up front.

I could see it as your order mistake if the back side of the wheel rim made contact to the strut or sway bar linkage, but not clearing the calipers? That is wrong.

Well, IMO of course.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Gosh, that is a shame. Sorry to learn of this, but I have to say, I would press hard on the vendor for a return credit. For the barrel not to clear the 4 piston Brembo's is something that they should have known up front.

I could see it as your order mistake if the back side of the wheel rim made contact to the strut or sway bar linkage, but not clearing the calipers? That is wrong.

Well, IMO of course.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

This is for the 6-piston Brembos on the GT350.

VooDooBOSS said:
I have a 19x9 Boss 302 front wheel I used as a spare. I wonder if it will clear?

Someone on the other forum tried a 19x9 brembo package wheel with no luck, same issue with the inner barrel diameter being too small

Just a quick update:

After taking a couple of days to get a hold of them, Forgestar has been great. They're going to replace my F14s with custom offset CF10s at no additional cost. The CF10s and CF5s have a larger inner barrel and should clear the brakes.

I'll post pics when I get the new wheels installed. Unfortunately, they won't be here for the first track day at the end of the month, so it'll be stock street tires for me.

Finally found a set of wheels that fit, albeit with some modifications!

The CF10s appear to have about 3mm more clearance to the caliper than the stock rims. They don't look very diferent than the stock rims.

I'm running a 305/30/19 Potenza RE-11 and the whole wheel/tire combo is 4lbs lighter (56.5lbs) than the stock 19x11 and 305/35/19. I was surprised how visually noticeable the difference in aspect ratio was.

IMG_20160220_171210125_zpsdgemoowb.jpg

The modifications required were because I'm using a 30mm wheel spacer on the front so that I can rotate the tires. The stock wheel studs poked through the spacer and were interfering with the mounting surface of the wheel. You can see in the picture that the "V" between each lug hole isn't at the same diameter as the lug holes themselves. I had to grind the "V" deeper to clear the studs, about a 1/16" on each one. Nothing like taking a grinder to a brand new set of wheels. :eek:

IMG_20160220_092828512_zpsqsc5vpys.jpg

I'm happy they fit and am super happy with Forgestar's customer service. They took great care of me in dealing with the original issue.

It's very difficult to get decent pictures of black wheels on a white car.
IMG_20160226_080414892_zpsjb31has4.jpg

IMG_20160226_180857108_zpsjhawbnzh.jpg

Bonus points to anyone that recognizes the buildings in the back of the first picture. :)

I do. Lead design engineer for most of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wvdA56bks

If you haven't been to the Atlantis exhibit at the KSC Visitor's Center, it's almost worth a trip by itself, without the big rodent. They did an amazing job with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors