The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Not good vibrations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys

Yesterday on the highway, around 60-65 mph or so a vibration that lasts a few seconds then it goes away for a few seconds then comes back etc etc.
Its pretty noticeable. I don't track the car - still on original tires at 11k now. I do drive spirited but don't beat hard on it.
Last Friday I wanted to show off to my wife and did a doughnut in a abandoned parking lot ( 2 times around :) ). I went home and didn't drive it til yesterday. Any ideas ? Maybe i got 1 or more tires out of round ?

Thanks - Rob

check the easy stuff first....Tires / wheel weights / air pressure. Is the vibration in the whole car or the steering wheel??

I get the same thing sometimes, but like cloud9 stated it is most likely the road surface as mine will go away depending on where I am driving.

Road surface is great - same bit of 18 mile stretch perfectly smooth macadam, 65 mph zone- I feel it on the steering wheel and in my seat.

I'll drive up another highway today 55 mph with a stop light every few miles and report back around 9:30
Tire pressures are ok - have a greenslime 12v pump and check every day i'm driving it which is mostly sunny weekends.
Tire condition, the rears are worn, but not down to the notch.
Will check wheel weights before I leave this morning.
I'm hopeful its tires and i'm being just a nervous nelly thinking I broke or loosened something doing the doughnut :-[

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Unfortunately, I think it's your 3.73s starting to whine. And I think the doughnuts may have helped onset the noise.

If the noise is only present in a relatively tight speed range (like 5-10 mph), then it's likely the gears.
My GT started to whine after about 8000 miles. Nothing on the Boss. I have really short tires on the GT (25.6") and I have the whine from about 50-60.

Good luck with your test drive.

Ok normally I have a 6th gear whine pretty much since I got the car new. I thought this was normal? At around 65 mph and up is where the vibration starts all the way to 100 its still the same. Ill check wheel weights when I get home. Not sure what driveline weights are Jud but going into a meeting til 3. Ill check back in a bit. The whine is most noticeable in 6th gear and 65 and above
MANY THANKS

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
LP Heaven said:
Ok normally I have a 6th gear whine pretty much since I got the car new. I thought this was normal? At around 65 mph and up is where the vibration starts all the way to 100 its still the same. Ill check wheel weights when I get home. Not sure what driveline weights are Jud but going into a meeting til 3. Ill check back in a bit. The whine is most noticeable in 6th gear and 65 and above
MANY THANKS
they are little metal squares they tac weld to the stock driveshaft to balance it. Also to consider since they had the trans out they may have dropped your DS and if they did that it will mess it up. If its dropped its supposed to be discarded and a new one installed (even has a big sticker on it saying that). I am going off of the mindset that it was fine till they removed the trans and put it back in so I suspect what was touched over what was not touched when they did the transmission work.

I would think if you have a vibration from your diff it would be much worse then a shuddering steering wheel, then again I am no mechanic.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Well, if you've already got and identified the gear whine, then maybe it's just the rear tires going out of balance since they're worn. Perfectly normal if they haven't been re-balanced since new. If it starts at one speed and only gets worse as you go faster, it probably is a balance issue.

Yea I'm going to check the points you guys mentioned; all good by the way. I also called my dealership and the stang tech there only works on late model stangs and dobra jets - i'm sure i'll get it sorted and will report back any findings but hes not due back in until next week. Hes only there for 3 days a week.

Jud - i think you have me confused with someone else. I never had the tranny repaired but i see where this would be an area of concern etc. The only mechanical failure i've had on the car is a blown shock - that part by the way is 560.00 from ford racing :)

I'll check those metal squares if i can ever get out of work.

You guys freakin rock - many thanks !
Rob

I may have missed this (on phone) but who did the work? The driveshaft needs to go on the same way it came off with respect to the pinion flange (right?), unless a new flange was installed.

TMO Supporting Vendors