The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

not the usual Ticking coyote thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
I had the oil pan & oil pump from the new GT500 installed while the rod bearings were replaced. Would the improvement in oil pan baffling and flow rate on the pump be enough to prevent oil starvation?
I don't know exactly how the gt500 pan is designed, but a 'baffled' pan can significantly reduce the chance of oil starvation. However, it won't repair the damage that has already been done. I would be willing to bet that your main bearings look just as bad as those rod bearings did.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I had the oil pan & oil pump from the new GT500 installed while the rod bearings were replaced. Would the improvement in oil pan baffling and flow rate on the pump be enough to prevent oil starvation?
Yes the 500 pan is a race capable pan and the pump is a much higher flow rate than standard Coyote/Boss/GT350. I run it and see no change in oil pressure in high g left/right turns, nor on the banking at Daytona.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
The crank is so hard like 45HRc i would expect very little wear even in those spots since i don't see any evidence of overheating and thats what would soften the crank surface enough to wear.. I wonder what could have caused that local bearing wear though.. hmm. Do all BOSS 302's have this pattern?

I thought rod bearing wear like that can come from detonation. I fear this is starting to be a trend with those who run the red trackey tune and accelerated rod bearing wear. Time will tell

If main bearings are ok, it’s probably tune related.
If main bearings look rough too, it’s oil related. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel