The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Not very happy with this timing chain sprocket.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So with the whole Covid-19 thing going on I decided to go a little nuts, and change out the oil pump gears, and timing sprocket. I will withhold names of the company till they can respond, since I just found this. Went to test fit the sprocket, and it would not install past the keyway, and this is what I found. I work in the machining industry, and this looks horrible. How QC didn't catch this let alone slice a finger on it is beyond me. I haven't opened the oil pump gears, but now I am almost afraid to.

OHV4dnM.jpg

b8W8tGu.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
That looks just awful. Maybe it's a Spacely Sprocket?
I have a spare set for my Boss from Boundary and it's machined perfectly.

At first sight I thought it was a deburring issue but upon closer inspection, it looks like you're missing some material from the key-way.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Good deal. Hard to blame the retailer for a bad QC process. God to see they are fixing you up.

BTW, how did the chain guides look on your motor when you pulled it apart? I have about 15k on the motor and did not order chain guides. Did you replace yours?

Bay Area
WOW, JUST WOW!! I ran a 35K sqft medical implant shop and thats just horrible. I know that tools get dull but was this a parent that brought their kid to work for home schooling? HAHA Just messing. But horrible job. Glad to see its being replaced.

Good deal. Hard to blame the retailer for a bad QC process. God to see they are fixing you up.

BTW, how did the chain guides look on your motor when you pulled it apart? I have about 15k on the motor and did not order chain guides. Did you replace yours?

I have 12,000ish miles on mine, and they look fine. Not going to replace them. I didn't even talk to the retailer. I went strait to the manufacture.

di7InVP.jpg

WOW, JUST WOW!! I ran a 35K sqft medical implant shop and thats just horrible. I know that tools get dull but was this a parent that brought their kid to work for home schooling? HAHA Just messing. But horrible job. Glad to see its being replaced.

I work for one of the major CNC metal cutting tool manufactures. I see CNC'ed stuff day in, and out. Like I said, I get it. Bad stuff gets by QC once in a while. This is pretty bad, but looks like they are making it right.

Glad they made it right. I machined parts for about 4 years and would have been mortified to send something out that looked like that. I had some SST parts that I'd spend 6 hours hand spiffying after machining.

TMO Supporting Vendors