The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

noticed some new things on track this week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guys

so fresh back from track attack i got out on our local circuit,

Here's a link,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EjLw45XkwmU[/youtube]

i set the traction control (2 press) to sport mode and used track key

our local track has two parts noramly only the short track is open and this time it was the full circuit which i have never driven before

i noticed two things which only happened on the parts of the track ive not driven before

1. the long straight, this is longer than the normal circuit and i think i was up to 130 or so either about the time i hit 130 or as i took my foot of the gas to brake theres a wine from the rear which ive not experienced before and doesn't happen on the main straight which is only about 110mph. is this the Torsen Diff, is it complaining about the 18inch wheels?

i read somewhere on a ford document that if you run any other wheel tire combo other than 19inch the torsen may not like it.

Anyone else get this noise, obviously i would never notice it on a road as its a bit fast for the road :)

2. this new part of the circuit has some new tarmac that runs to the middle of the road and off to one side with the old part on the other, i felt the car lurch to one side as if the traction control was braking one of the rear wheel's this happened a few times during the day on a similar part of the track but not always, im thinking the advance track noticed one wheel getting more traction and either braking or reducing power to that wheel.

i dont remember feeling this on the track attack

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
As long as all the tires are the same size (or close), TC doesn't care. The torsen is unlikely to make any noise in the straights. They do make some noise in turns though. Deceleration whine with 3.73 gears at high speed isn't abnormal. As for the rear shimmy, solid axle cars like these tend to walk around on uneven pavement. I think it's probably normal.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I take it back. I just watched the video and heard the "whine" while braking from high speeds. That sound jogged a vivid memory for me. I think you said you were getting the nitto tires for the Team Dynamics wheels? When I had nt01's, they made that noise at the same points. Same thing with the toyo r888. I think it's the broad tread pattern. Definitely nothing to worry about.

TMO Supporting Vendors