The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

November 4 SCCA PDX at Road Atlanta

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_0153.jpg

Well the PDX was a great time but it was not without some misfortune (more on that in a minute).

This was my first time at Road Atlanta and it is breathtaking. Going over the hill into turn 11 feels like driving off a cliff. My first time over that hill sent a bolt of fear though me since, for a brief moment, I didn't know where the track had gone. I've done dozens of laps of RA in Forza but it completely fails to convey the precipitous changes in elevation.

Wow.

My Mustang performed flawlessly, not a single issue with shifting or with the clutch. The brakes held up very well with little to no fade. All I did to prep for the track was to swap out the stock brake fluid with the Ford DOT 4 fluid. However, it should be noted that we were told not to exceed 95mph (I got to 115) which greatly reduced brake wear.

On a sad note, my brother had come down to GA from MD to drive RA with his RX8. However, early Sunday morning, Northbound on 85 about 10 miles south of RA my Brother hit a deer. He was unhurt but his car wasn't. Needless to say he didn't get to drive on RA and when home on a plane.

GA
I have done a few track weekends at RA - I love it! It is a really fast track; the blind hills are scary at first, and you never know what it is in front of you as you crest turn 2 or turn 11, which is part of what makes it such a rush. I will go back in the spring.

Sorry to hear about your brother and the deer.

It was nice to see another Boss at the event. The next one at RA is March 17, 2013.

Here are a couple of laps from the event:
http://youtu.be/4Yp1EKRLiF0

GA
I would really like to go back to RA next month for the NASA weekend. It is always the same weekend as the Mustang club Christmas party though. :mad:

athens7 said:
It was nice to see another Boss at the event. The next one at RA is March 17, 2013.

Great Video. I'm glad I got signed of to the intermediate group. It seems like you got a lot more clear track that I did.

Number23 said:
athens7 said:

Great Video. I'm glad I got signed of to the intermediate group. It seems like you got a lot more clear track that I did.

Actually, of the 7 green flag laps in the 2nd session, I only got those 2 on a clear track. The first session was even worse; 1 clean lap under green. There was a guy in a brand new 911 that was like a moving chicane. 3 or 4 cars would be stacked up behind him at a time. I lapped him twice in 7 laps of a 2.5 mile course! Looking on the bright side, I got some good practice on running in traffic and coming upon a slower car approaching or in a turn.

P1140584.jpg

To paraphrase Rob Smedley, "Porsche, Mustang is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?"

athens7 said:
P1140583.JPG

To paraphrase Rob Smedley, "Porsche, Mustang is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?"

So did Massa point you by?

The Novice group had WAY too many cars on track. I may look to other organizations (Chin, NASA) for my next track day.

It's a little hard to see because of the location of his hand and my grille, but the Porsche is giving me a point by. Other than the 991 series 911, point by's were reasonably available. I did video both sessions in their entirety, but some of my comments about the traffic don't make for G-rated entertainment. Here are a couple of other traffic shots:
P1140813.jpg
DSC_1318.jpg
I am going to Barber tomorrow for a PBOC event. 2 hours of track time Sunday, with about 7 cars in the group! It's a good bit farther & more expensive, though.

TMO Supporting Vendors