The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Now This is Interesting: Future Tires Made From Wood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is pretty impressive. Curious to see how the other materials hold up to track use, and if it would be a road only option.
We're just going to have to wait 'til 2020 and see how this technology develops. This could be a revolutionary change in transportation if it become a reality.

Considering latex comes from trees. Is this a big leap in tech?
Tires generally contain a combination of natural rubber, harvested from a rubber tree, and synthetic rubbers made from oil and other ingredients. The current source for commercial rubber is the Pará rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis). Although the tree hails from the Amazon rainforest, it was brought to Southeast Asia, which now produces most of the commercial latex. The particular blend of materials used for each tire is specific to the performance required of the tire. The blend consists of multiple rubbers and fillers mixed in large blenders and then milled. Synthetic rubber is derived from polymers extracted from crude oil. Rubber manufacturers add carbon black, a powder formed by burning oil or a natural gas and creating soot, as well as sulfur and a mix of other chemicals in specifically crafted ratios, to create the finished product: a tire comprised of over 30 materials. As you can see, the problem is that tires are made from oil and trees. The trees are limited to a few species located in a few regions of the globe. A switch in tire design, the raw materials and the manufacturing of tires could have multiple benefits. It could reduce oil consumption, could limit import of foreign goods produced from political unstable regions in the world, could greatly simplify the manufacturing processes needed to make a tire, and reduce the number of constituents that compose a tire thus reduce manufacturing and material production costs. There is also the potential for a longer lasting and better performing tire as well. However, this needs to be demonstrated and is why this type of research is being conducted by manufacturers now such as Michelin.

To summarize, We have come a long way since the cavemen were fumbling around with those stones and still have more progress to be made. I just recently bought new shoes for my Boss, so I'm good to go for another 5/6 yrs. Maybe by then a new generation tire will be available.

To summarize, We have come a long way since the cavemen were fumbling around with those stones and still have more progress to be made. I just recently bought new shoes for my Boss, so I'm good to go for another 5/6 yrs. Maybe by then a new generation tire will be available.
Yep. All organizations (even tire manufacturers), like all cultures, must continue to evolve or they stagnate and eventually become obsolete. If your business is not moving forward then you are moving backward. Technology and research in all fields of endeavor are essential to our nation's economy.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Should make "burning rubber" that much easier.
Whatever can achieve the same or greater performance at lower manufactured cost will be used. Sustainability is also a factor (although I'd wager this one is a wash considering the volume of trees that would be needed; however there may be other positive side effects).

On a semi-related note, I saw my first set of airless tires on some local construction equipment a few weeks ago, pretty cool stuff. Ride quality doesn't matter for that application, however.

Should make "burning rubber" that much easier.
Whatever can achieve the same or greater performance at lower manufactured cost will be used. Sustainability is also a factor (although I'd wager this one is a wash considering the volume of trees that would be needed; however there may be other positive side effects).

On a semi-related note, I saw my first set of airless tires on some local construction equipment a few weeks ago, pretty cool stuff. Ride quality doesn't matter for that application, however.
Did you see the NASA video? That's impressive.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Michelin has a long history of reporting on "new" tires or concept tires that never make production. So I wood not get too excited over tree tires.

The NASA wire tire thing was invented by Goodyear and NASA in the 60's for the lunar rover. Here's an article from 2009 talking about a new version wire tire https://techcrunch.com/2009/08/06/g...op-the-next-gen-lunar-rover-tire-its-springy/

As I was once told a long time ago "tires companies have been working on airless tires ever since the first flat". There are many airless tires in use. But the performance needs for car tires are not trivial and so far airless tires are just not up to the challenge.

Michelin has a long history of reporting on "new" tires or concept tires that never make production. So I wood not get too excited over tree tires.

The NASA wire tire thing was invented by Goodyear and NASA in the 60's for the lunar rover. Here's an article from 2009 talking about a new version wire tire https://techcrunch.com/2009/08/06/g...op-the-next-gen-lunar-rover-tire-its-springy/

As I was once told a long time ago "tires companies have been working on airless tires ever since the first flat". There are many airless tires in use. But the performance needs for car tires are not trivial and so far airless tires are just not up to the challenge.
Michelin is far along with the technology. I am not sure what commercial applications they have in mind though. I can see this technology being introduced to the marketplace near term. Here, watch the video at this website:

https://www.designboom.com/technology/michelin-visionary-concept-tire-06-15-2017/

The 3D printing technology is available and has been around for 5 years now. Michelin is experimenting with various materials such as cellulose. This tech may not be as far fetched as you think it is.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel