The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Number plates for competition - need community input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm working with our decal vendor to come up with some standardized number plate options that members would be able to purchase. I'm hoping to get some feedback from the members on preferred sizing, font options, color options, etc. He's open to doing whatever we want, and will most likely work with each person who wants custom options beyond the basic offering anyway. I guess what I'm envisioning is making a handful of standard options available for the average Mustang owner, who could then just place an order and give him their number, color choice, and desired font. We could do simple numbers with no background but it would likely be cheaper to have a rectangular number plate with the number in it.

What would you think would be good options for him to make available for TMO? Should we have an option to have the TMO logo on them? Maybe even the member's username? Open it ideas.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
HoneyBadger's panel looks great, but if you're at a venue where someone needs to read your number, a light- to medium-grey would give a better contrast and readability. Black on red has a relatively low contrast ratio and is difficult to read at a distance. I'm saying this as someone who's worked in the timing trailer at Solo Nationals, having to read each car number and class from 20-40 feet in under 5 seconds, for an hour+ per shift. I know track events are more likely to use transponders for T&S, but it's still something to consider. Just sayin'.

I found this handy tool that can be used to check the contrast of two colors. Good combinations will pass the Large Text WCAG AAA test. https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I agree with Dave. I prefer the white background for contrast. I've seen some with American flags in the bottom left and the name on the bottom right. Maybe have a TMO logo instead of the flag (since we have an international community here!) and user name or whatever else someone wants on the bottom right. Black border, white background, TMO blue numbers.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Another vote for Daves ideas, I have also spent many hours working timing and corners and some of the numbers are hard to decipher because of poor contrast or weird fonts.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I prefer an oval shape option if possible. Been running with magnetic numbers for years but a removable cling vinyl works too. Nothing wrong with the TMO logo on there although I have a sticker already placed on the car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I’ve had really good luck with my magnetic numbers staying put. A lot of guys will add tape to the leading edge, but I’ve never had an issue with mine, and that’s with quite a few 150 mph passes on the banks of ACS and 20+ track days. Maybe it’s the larger size, or perhaps not all magnetic materials are created equal. These are from TrackDecals.com. @Ludachris, these guys will use customs logos - perhaps they would be interested in supporting TMO. They already specialize in track decals and their quality is top notch - I would guess better than using a run of the mill printer and reinventing the wheel.

https://www.trackdecals.com/collections/magnetic-numbers

E548BB3C-2F51-412A-A534-CBD0169A6F91.jpeg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I'm guessing there are different "qualities" of magnetic material. I've seen numerous individual magnetic numbers and number panels blow off at autocross speeds. I lost a mag number at around 100mph on a speed run and it was reduced to many small crumbs. I tried cling numbers and they were a real pain to keep clean. I ended up with the magnetic number panels from track solutions and at higher speeds I tape the front edges. I store them on the door leading to the garage so I don't forget them on track day.🤔

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I thought about magnetic numbers a few years ago and stopped when a couple of friends who tried them said they blow off at speed and you have to tape them. They had rectangular magnetic panels. I figured if I have to tape them, I may as well use stick on numbers or painters tape. I do like the looks of the oval/round background better than a rectangle. I wonder if the oval/round panel would be less prone to blowing off, since they don't have a long straight edge across the front for the wind to get ahold of? Also prefer the white background for contrast versus body color matched.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Many of you can find numbers and other magnetic or reusable vinyl at DaveW's ( member of TMO ) company -- soloperformance.com. Just a thought for some of you and he might be able to make a specific set for TMO , also.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
I have had my mag. Number for about ten years now. They have been used on three of my cars and still going strong. I have never used tape on the leading edge but I do heat the panel and number plate with a heat gun set at 180 degrees so that the plate will form to the body contours of the car. Sence I dont drive my mustang as a daily driver I now just leave the plates on and remove them when we take it on a distance drive. Oh, when I do remove them I store them on my tool chests.20200104_094248.jpg

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I’ve had really good luck with my magnetic numbers staying put. A lot of guys will add tape to the leading edge, but I’ve never had an issue with mine, and that’s with quite a few 150 mph passes on the banks of ACS and 20+ track days. Maybe it’s the larger size, or perhaps not all magnetic materials are created equal. These are from TrackDecals.com. @Ludachris, these guys will use customs logos - perhaps they would be interested in supporting TMO. They already specialize in track decals and their quality is top notch - I would guess better than using a run of the mill printer and reinventing the wheel.

https://www.trackdecals.com/collections/magnetic-numbers

View attachment 62759
I've reached out to Clayton a few times in the last several months about TMO but can't get a reply. The guy who prints our decals (Erron at StickyVinylGraphics) is very responsive and has always been willing to work with me on whatever our community needs. I like giving him more business whenever I'm able to, and when it makes sense for him and us. At this point I haven't completely nailed down who I'll work with on this.

How tall is your number plate by the way?

TMO Supporting Vendors