The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NW Shelby Club 40th Annual Midwest Invitational at Road America June 19-21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugh, just got this announcement from NW Shelby Club. I have no idea if my car will pass. Anyone with LTs and O/R H pipe and something similar to Corsa Extreme mufflers have theirs measured?

"This will serve as a warning regarding exhaust decibel levels at Road America. The decibel level at Road America is 103db. In the past it wasn’t really enforced unless a car was ear shattering loud. This year Road America will be enforcing the 103db rule. Readings are taken 50 feet from the track at different spots. If your car is deemed too loud by Road America you will be asked to correct the problem and you will not be allowed on track until the level is 103db or below."

If it doesn't pass I don't know what my options are other than bring my stock mufflers along?

Not good. Just sent you and Steve PM on this. I just finished up installing the Kooks LT's last week and also have Corsa Extremes along with open side pipes. I may have a db meter somewhere -- if I can find it I will take it to Watkins Glen next Monday/Tuesday and see if there's anywhere we can get a reading on Steve and my cars.....

Hope it' doesn't require Stock Mufflers and blanking plates for the side pipes......

LOL we have 90 db at Laguna Seca next week. Both Sonoma and Thunderhill have 103 limits and I don't ever see anyone getting black flagged. I would think quieter mufflers or blocking off the side pipes should be enough if your over. I have a few sets of blank discs available if you need them.

cloud9 said:
Ugh, just got this announcement from NW Shelby Club. I have no idea if my car will pass. Anyone with LTs and O/R H pipe and something similar to Corsa Extreme mufflers have theirs measured?

"This will serve as a warning regarding exhaust decibel levels at Road America. The decibel level at Road America is 103db. In the past it wasn’t really enforced unless a car was ear shattering loud. This year Road America will be enforcing the 103db rule. Readings are taken 50 feet from the track at different spots. If your car is deemed too loud by Road America you will be asked to correct the problem and you will not be allowed on track until the level is 103db or below."

If it doesn't pass I don't know what my options are other than bring my stock mufflers along?

As you know we have the same exhaust. A friend of mine has a decibel meter and I will too will check my car on Monday at BIR. Not sure what I will do if we are over the 103. I no longer have my stock mufflers.

LS110 said:
As you know we have the same exhaust. A friend of mine has a decibel meter and I will too will check my car on Monday at BIR. Not sure what I will do if we are over the 103. I no longer have my stock mufflers.
Good deal, that will help Steve and Nick as well since their setup is similar I think. They say they are locating them 50 feet from the track so hopefully you can position his meter in a similar fashion.

Black Boss said:
Found my noise meter and will take it to the Glen on Monday. Hopefully we can get some measurements from Steve and my cars 50 feet from the track......
Good deal. Between you guys and John we should have a good idea if where we sit.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Cats are the big equalizer in this equation. I have both catted and cat less x pipe and the car is a lot quieter with the cats. Open side pipes (which I don't have) will add a little more noise especially with catless system. Bring blanks just in case, 103 is very loud so it may be OK. Also you guys can short shift to give a poor little GT a chance ::)
Steve

steveespo said:
Cats are the big equalizer in this equation. I have both catted and cat less x pipe and the car is a lot quieter with the cats. Open side pipes (which I don't have) will add a little more noise especially with catless system. Bring blanks just in case, 103 is very loud so it may be OK. Also you guys can short shift to give a poor little GT a chance ::)
Steve
A poor little GT making 50 more rwhp than me that's going to be pulling like crazy in those long straights ::)

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Started the trip to Road America yesterday and landed in Youngstown OH at midnight last night. 2 hours standing still on Route 80 because a road crew was putting a 6 inch wide bevel of asphalt on the edge between new and old pavement. Everything else is great, have my wife and youngest daughter with me and today we pick up my oldest at Milwaukee Airport then on to Elkhart Lake. The BMO roster has some heavy hitters, Cloud 9, LS 110, and debuting his '13 GT 500 (slumping?) Black Boss due to technical difficulties with his usual trusty Black LS. Weather looks good with only chance of thunderstorms Saturday afternoon, stay tuned as the fun has just begun.
Steve

steveespo said:
Started the trip to Road America yesterday and landed in Youngstown OH at midnight last night. 2 hours standing still on Route 80 because a road crew was putting a 6 inch wide bevel of asphalt on the edge between new and old pavement. Everything else is great, have my wife and youngest daughter with me and today we pick up my oldest at Milwaukee Airport then on to Elkhart Lake. The BMO roster has some heavy hitters, Cloud 9, LS 110, and debuting his '13 GT 500 (slumping?) Black Boss due to technical difficulties with his usual trusty Black LS. Weather looks good with only chance of thunderstorms Saturday afternoon, stay tuned as the fun has just begun.
Steve
cloud9 brpught the rig home last night. Mama T packed the groceries last night. Hitting the road at 0800. 8)

Having a great time with Nick John and Steve.Nick and John are absolutely flying around the track. Steve had a little technical difficulty which I'm sure he will share in more detail later. The guy is so skilled I think if you dropped off a semi load of parts he could assemble one of these cars from the ground up in a few days.I think the 21 car is ready to rock today :)

Another great day yesterday. Steve's car ran great and he turned a hero 2:36 on his first full day at Road America ever. That's a hell of an accomplishment. LS110 running blazing hot in the 2:30s so the BMO crew is doing fine 8) I had the opportunity to get a good look at a C7 Z06 yesterday and it's a great looking car. It looked even better the second time I passed him in the session :-X. I'm sure he was just trying to get the hang of it. It pulled me HARD in the straights with that blower.

Going to try the R7s today. Would be nice get in the 2:20s again like Friday but wishful thinking most likely :D

First time at Road America and it's nothing short of spectacular! Long, Fast and a lot of fun. Was great to meet up with Steve, Gary and John.

Took the Shelby as I couldn't get the Transmission fixed on the Boss in time.

Unfortunately had a clutch issue in the Shelby early on day 2 but considering it's stock it handled well --ran a 2:39 with 153mph up the straight, but it's not the kind of track to run 9/10ths without a Harness, Hans and Roll Bar -- really looking forward to going back in the Boss

Black Boss said:
First time at Road America and it's nothing short of spectacular! Long, Fast and a lot of fun. Was great to meet up with Steve, Gary and John.

Took the Shelby as I couldn't get the Transmission fixed on the Boss in time.

Unfortunately had a clutch issue in the Shelby early on day 2 but considering it's stock it handled well --ran a 2:39 with 153mph up the straight, but it's not the kind of track to run 9/10ths without a Harness, Hans and Roll Bar -- really looking forward to going back in the Boss
Had a blast Nick. Sub 2:40 in a stock GT500 on your first trip with a 3 point factory belt and a couple airbags is outstanding.

Great weekend guys!! Most memorable was playing cat and mouse with Gary for 4 laps. The only thing that kept me in the game was that I was on fresh tires and his were spent.

The kink nearly got me yesterday and today turn 6 got had me pucker with a near spin. RA has a way to keep you humble :eek:

Nice meeting you Nick and Steve!! I owe you big time Steve for getting me back on the track yesterday with your expertise and parts!!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well in my earlier post I said this event was going to be an adventure and it was for all of us. Took the 989 mile drive from NY to Elkhart Lake on Wednesday night and Thursday. Got to the track where John met me and with his driving coach Chong helped me get oriented to Road America. The place is huge and I could see right away that it was a big boy track as we drove in through the tunnel and up to the paddock. John, Gary and I set up together and got the cars ready for Friday morning. Nothing more than checking the oil and lug torque since I did a complete service the weekend before. I was super excited Friday morning, drivers meeting they discussed exiting at Turn 5. At 4 miles the place is so long they take you off a mile after the checkers to save run time, they also described that unless the track was blocked or a serious accident occurred the session would continue with local yellows and hot pulls from the track. Are you kidding? I was in track day heaven.

Again I needed Johns help because I was clueless as to where to stage, and what the lines really were on track.
So I followed John to pit lane and we went out, 3 laps later I see a number flash on the electronic scoring board and a meatball flag, it was 21! Oh shiznit, what's wrong? I pit in and one of the event marshals said I was smoking and dropping fluid, goes to look and touched my rear bumper and comes back with a handful of gear oil. This isn't good. Figuring i over filled the diff and it puked out I headed back to the pits to clean up the underside and bumper then pull the front plug to bleed out the excess. When I pulled the plug I said oh shiznit loud enough for Gary to hear by his car and saw about a half inch of metal shavings on the magnet.

Still didn't explain all the oil lost since none came out of the fill hole. I checked the vents and the hose to Bobs can and all was correct. Then I saw it, what looked like a drilled hole between the fins just left of the ring gear bulge on the cover. Showed it to Nick who stated, "that's how the oil came out".

Seeing my weekend over before it began I considered packing up the car and just enjoying the Lake with my family and hanging out with the guys at the track for a couple days. But that is not what I did. I had to know what happened. Stay tuned I will continue this novel in the morning.
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the rest of the story Steve :)

Here's the video of my best lap on Friday. It's the same as I posted on the Lap Time thread. I have a bunch more video to go through but probably won't have time tonight.

Road America 6/19/15 on the stock brakes, P springs and dampers, stock airbox and intake with some takeoff Pirelli 305/660/18 & 315/680/18 slicks. My goal has long been to breakout below 2:30, but I didn't know if I'd get there without a brake or coilover upgrade.....or until I switch to the GT350. I hit 2:29.46 last Friday and got pretty excited. The video includes the prior lap at 2:30.76 where I got stuck behind a Vette coming out of Canada corner. I was actually on pace to run an even faster lap but couldn't get around him until the Billy Mitchell bridge.

20150619_103157_zpshcc6pb9b.jpg

Here's the vid. My data acquisition system is in my rear end, and it doesn't support video, so it isn't as fancy as Steve's. :)

https://youtu.be/FMh28Jbin78

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel