The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oak Tree at VIR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
My wife got a text today from VIR that the Oak Tree came down today in a storm and is gone. It must have been at least 80 years old. The folks at the track are really upset about it. Don't know how you replace an icon like that.
Steve
http://bizj.us/soebj/i/1

Dang. Sorry to hear about that. I've got two oaks that are very old and would be bummed to lose one. Lets hope they plant another one.

That sucks. There are lots of old growth oaks in my neighborhood and they keep dying off because the idiot homeowners keep watering them. Here's the tree that fell, it was a beauty.

2012_ALMS_VIR_FalkenAtOakTree_s.jpg

That sucks. It will be missed.
I had an oak tree fall in my yard two weeks ago. Hit the house and my car trailer. :'( The house is fixed but the insurance didn't fully cover the repair cost of the trailer.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
BossJockey said:
That sucks. It will be missed.
I had an oak tree fall in my yard two weeks ago. Hit the house and my car trailer. :'( The house is fixed but the insurance didn't fully cover the repair cost of the trailer.
Aw c'mon! What is up with trailer accidents this year. Sorry to hear that, I'm starting to thing 2013 is a cursed year.
Steve

VTBoss302 said:
Hang in there espo!

There is light at the end of the tunnel ;-)
Unfortunately so far Steve's right. However, maybe it's just a half year jinx and once we cross the other side of Independence Day things will turn. A lot of us need that pep talk VT! ;)

GA
That sucks. :'( I was just at VIR in early May. My instructor said that the tree had been sick for a long time and they were sparing no expense to try to save it. You could see how badly it was leaning over the track. I guess they will have to plant a new one after all.

Another Oak tree icon that was lost recently was at Auburn Unversity. Some redneck poisoned the trees so they had to cut them down.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Steve - you may be onto something there. Maybe we should wear bullet proof vests at Watkins Glen ? ::)

PeteInCT said:
Steve - you may be onto something there. Maybe we should wear bullet proof vests at Watkins Glen ? ::)

I prefer your idea of a tail gunner...

VTBoss302

PS - With a little luck, the goodies you sent me will be on for LRP

Here's a vid from my buddy on July 5th. Looks really strange not seeing that giant tree. Bummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaC3GNrLOhI

Why not pull a Disney and just build an exact replica of the old tree lol. I mean it is not nearly the same thing but hey it kind of works.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel