Odyssey battery questions (or other light batteries)

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by Duane Black, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

I think you got it. :)

^Just not sure what you mean here.

2. Grant 302

Attached Files:

3. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Advanced

By not let things charge too long, I meant like a cell phone or any thing you leave on a cigarette lighter.

Grant 302 likes this.
  4. Eric62

Eric62 TMO Intermediate

I used an 11.5 lb Braille for a couple of years. It was laid on its side in the factory tray with a fabbed aluminum tray-within-the-tray and secured with the factory strap shortened to hold it tight. I live where it is warm, so cold starts were not an issue, ever.

What WAS an issue is when the battery got a bit tired, the rather large current draw from the electric power steering would cause the ABS/TCS/ESC to re-set. Imagine that system trying to initialize while driving down the road. Almost yanked me into a curb a couple of times. At track days, I would turn off the Advancetrac and the system would reset ON the TRACK! Not good!

I reinstalled a factory size battery. Problem solved.

Grant 302 likes this.
  5. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Advanced

I was going to say, sounds like a 15 or 17 may be the cure to what ails you

6. Grant 302

Sounds like about what I'd expect for the 11.5 lb. Starts would be fairly hard on a battery that small at 15 Ah. I almost went that way and I remember finding examples of lasting only a year or two. I was pretty sure that I'd only be able to keep one that size for the 3 or maybe 4 year range tops.

Just checked on mine outside since we had cloudy/rainy weather for the last couple of weeks. Floating at 13.29V on the solar charger.

I don't plan on doing a 'deep discharge' test cycle (like 20%) on that one for another year or so to check it. Maybe next summer when it's 2 1/2 years old.

Eric62 likes this.