The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OE tires cracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just bought my Boss in October of 2015, with 10,500 miles.
My '12 LS now has 11,500 miles. The sidewalls are cracking.
I have only put a 1000 miles on the car. Is this common for the P Zeros?
I have a couple 1/8 mile passes and no track days so far.
They may look too bad for static cars shows soon let alone driving.

That's unusual for low miles but I know UV light can affect tires. I'm guessing that your cars are not outside all the time correct?? My 2012 still has its original tires with 11.5k The car was dated April 2011 and the tires are fine, no cracking. Sounds like you need to replace them to be safe.

Do you have the Corsas? If so they are five years old and those tires are R compound and not going to last as long as a regular street tire. They could have been exposed to extreme cold as well. If they are regular P Zero then they are not the original tires.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
You can check the tire date code to see how old the tires are, here is a brief discription:

The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

Look here: http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

302 Hi Pro

I see you're from Texas, we have that same problem in Florida, for my wife's Mini Cooper I've purchased tire covers, available at any rec vee supply store. It's funny how the sun light "down south" seems to be worse than the light "up north" but that appears to be the case.
As far as the cracks, if they're just surface cracks, you're still good, any cracks in the tread area, or where the radial plies round the side wall is a problem.

I went to the warehouse yesterday. They are Corsa tires. No cracks, When I got out of the car upon arriving Royal Purple
for the Hot Rod power tour, the drivers side rear had a 2 or 2-1/2 crack that was an arc 35 degrees from vertical on the sidewall. It started past the apex of the sidewall bulge and sent toward the tread. It didn't reach the tread.
I looked then because a guy with a 2013 SBY LS stopped to check out my car. He said hey your tires are dry rotting like mine. He first pointed out some marbles at the edge of the treads.
So I didn't do any 1/4 mile runs or try the chassis dyno.
I had seen this crack before. I didn't see it when I left the warehouse.
Cool, no crack, Hot from driving the street cracks.
I got down on the floor with a flashlight, and no cracks when cool inside the warehouse.

TMO Supporting Vendors