The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oem engine oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys ,

I forgot to ask whats the oem engine oil mileage ??

I think the oil i'm using is mastercraft. 5w50 or 20w50 i forgot

And here at summer it goes in the 50s degree celcius but at winter weather gets to 0 and on daytime its in the 20s

eng90 said:
Hey guys ,

I forgot to ask whats the oem engine oil mileage ??

I think the oil i'm using is mastercraft. 5w50 or 20w50 i forgot

And here at summer it goes in the 50s degree celcius but at winter weather gets to 0 and on daytime its in the 20s
The OEM oil is Motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You're gonna need the full synthetic for the temperature resistance at high RPM and the 5w50 to maintain proper viscosity for VCT functionality as the oil degrades with temperatures as well.

Been running Castrol Syntec 5w50 for quite some time now with no issues at 60% the cost of the Motorcraft stuff. I used the Motorcraft stuff until the price spiked in 2012.

Bay Area
It depends on your driving. Below is from the owners manual. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13musom3e.pdf

Change it after every track use or
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Miles (km) Vehicle use and examples
7500-10000
(12000-16000)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load or towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling
5000-7499
(8000-11999)