The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OEM fan delete aftermarket replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Just went through the exercise of putting nomex on the rad which entailed taking out the engine fan unit and air intake system. That fan sucker is heavy and bulky AF.

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the OEM fan with something lighter, like a Flex-a-lite unit or similar. Just did a quick scan and their model 116 makes 2200 cfm and only weighs about 5 lbs. Would need some mounting stuff added so that would add a bit of weight. It's been my experience that the fans on my car only ran with A/C on or the car not moving, with any movement at all it seemed the fans were not running. Since I did the A/C delete I'm thinking I don't need this giant weight sink in the front of my car. Most race cars don't run a fan, they cool them in the pits with big external fans running off 110V power.

Has anyone taken on an OEM fan delete/adding an aftermarket fan to an S550?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I've just had my AC reclaimed, and was wondering the same thing as I'm about to remove my AC head, radiator, belt, and lines, probably tonight even, and curious how you come of this. I've seen plenty of people going fanless just the same, and curious if it'd be worth wiring it to some on/off switch, or just removing it outright like the others. Have you gone any further down this rabbit hole? How did you fare?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Haven't done anything else on it yet. Pretty sure I'm going to give it a try this year, I can't see why it wouldn't work, biggest issue will be figuring out the wiring I think, though that may not be too bad. I kind of want to have it running off the OEM signalling rather than on a manual switch. Right now though I don't want to do anything else until after I get a shakedown day and see how things work so far, been a lot of changes all at once.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So I managed to find a picture of the engine room of a GT4. And that fan assembly looks very suspiciously like the stock one. Rad is definitely not stock, nor is the degas bottle. It also appears to have the stock air intake complete with the sound chamber junk and so forth.

So I am left wondering why that would be, given the weight of the fan assembly and the location of the weight. Perhaps a rule requiring stock cooling? I have been looking at the wiring diagrams as well and it's way beyond what I expected to see in terms of complexity. So this is in the thinking it through stage for a while yet.

kohr-motorsports-mustang-gt4-running-hard-for-a-championship-0023.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors