The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OEM shifter "spinning" after shift knob removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered an issue like the one I'm about to describe...

I had the dealership remove my old OEM knob so I could put a new one on. They had to really put a lot of force to get the old one off, but once off and the new one installed I took the car home and noticed that there was no more reverse lockout and every time I tried to put it into first, it would want to go into reverse instead.

I brought the car home already knowing what the issue was, removed the console and sure enough, the mid section of the shifter assembly that the lockout pin is part of was rotated counter clockwise. I was able to fairly easily rotate it back into position and all worked fine.

However, ever since then, with the knob on an everything, I can still rotate the knob as if I was tightening it but since it's locked in place, the entire upper portion of the shifter spins with the knob and I can throw that reverse lockout pin out of alignment and encounter the same shifting issues as I initially described.

I've never seen another OEM shifter out of the car to know if this is how it really is and that it can spin like this, OR if something is broken and I should have the dealership replace it.

This morning I was on a spirited drive to work and after shifting through the gears came to a stop at a light. Light turned green and my car was in reverse. I noticed before I let the car go, and saw the knob spun 1/4 a turn, so I knew the issue and spun it back.

Does anyone have any input on how these shifters are designed or put together? I'm not wanting to replace my entire shifter with an aftermarket if it is truly broken I'd rather have the dealer replace it since they did the work.

Perhaps the upper portion of the shifter screws into the bottom portion and all I need to do is tighten it back?

here is a pic, the red arrow points to the portion that spins, this is the "upper" portion that is part of the assembly that the knob screws onto...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/tonyatperformance/MGW2-038-edit_zps403b4f29.jpg

MGW2-038-edit_zps403b4f29.jpg

after looking at some videos online, perhaps it's not just the upper portion spinning, would the entire assembly spin? What holds the lower ball portion in place in the lower portion of the assembly to prevent the assembly from spinning overall in the socket?

I would have the dealership replace it, since they are the ones that installed it, its under warrantee. I purchased an after market MGW, along with a new shifter handle and new knob, I will replace the entire unit. Im hopeful I dont have to remove the knob, maybe I can just remove the handle...but doubtful

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Sounds like they broke it. I would upgrade to a mgw or Barton and leave ford dealership out of the loop as they will probably just make it worse.

I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow after work to have them look at it. I'm assuming it will be a replacement as I cannot see anything "fixable" with the unit in my car (although I can't see what is broken if anything is either)

So the dealer is going to replace it under warranty, no issues. I guess the pivot ball has a hairline crack in it and they said that's what's causing it to spin. The entire shifter assembly is spinning, NOT just the top portion as I had previously thought. I don't know how, but they "temporarily" did a band aid fix for it until the new shifter comes in. Even with the band aid solution, the car shifts nicer and smoother, and a lot of clanking and noise is gone. Whatever the issue, they're fixing it, and things are good.

Glad I had the dealer remove the knob in the first place, so I can't be the "culprit"

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
WorldFamousZ said:
So the dealer is going to replace it under warranty, no issues. I guess the pivot ball has a hairline crack in it and they said that's what's causing it to spin. The entire shifter assembly is spinning, NOT just the top portion as I had previously thought. I don't know how, but they "temporarily" did a band aid fix for it until the new shifter comes in. Even with the band aid solution, the car shifts nicer and smoother, and a lot of clanking and noise is gone. Whatever the issue, they're fixing it, and things are good.

Glad I had the dealer remove the knob in the first place, so I can't be the "culprit"

like you found one of the Good Dealerships.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel