The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OEM Wheel mesurement for 6 Pot Brembos and Potential Spacer Application?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Fellow TMOer's!

Please read through the next 2 posts and see if my logic and thoughts will work. Thanks in advance! Well I has an aaaww crap (censored) moment yesterday. I really do not want to run the 200AA's on the street if I do not have to. Will the 6 pot calipers fit in my 2015 OEM 20 x 9's? I look all over the place in several forums and find no , no , no. Do a couple PM's and there is still uncertainty. I do not like no's and think I'll have the extended studs and have plenty of room between the tire and fender what about spacers as long as I maintain the 1.8 camber that I'm already at. Plus I will also have Vorschag plates room to go.
Current tire room:
DSCN8266.JPG
I decided I'll do some due diligence and see if I can figure it out my self. In my search I find this :
I go through the directions, enter 2013 regular GT and this comes up.
I pick a 6 pot option with the 380mm rotor. --- FYI as long as the search if for a S197 the templates all come up the same for the 6 pot 380mm - GT, GT with brembo, GT500... Trying a different rotor thickness did not change anything either.
S197 template:
DSCN8258.JPG
Glued to card board and cut out. You do not have precise on the wavy curves on the caliper. It's the fartherst out dementions that matter.
DSCN8259.JPG
S550 Template for comparison in case anyone is thinking about measuring OEM S550 wheels.
DSCN8260.JPG
Continued in next post.

Last edited:
Here are setup and my measurements. The file in on the inside of the spokes is 4.11 mm - It states must have 3mm clearance. I went high. That my wife's finger - mine are not that soft looking. I did not measure the inner wheel space - there is plenty.
DSCN8261.JPGDSCN8262.JPG
The file in on the center is 6.73 mm and the 2 pieces of plexi measure 5.28mm. Rounded to 12 mm total.
DSCN8264.JPGDSCN8265.JPG
Do you think I can get away with a 12mm spacer or go up to 15? Do you think it even work at all?
Thanks!

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Did you actually measure your template to verify that as printed it matched the dimensions called out on it? How were you centering the template's axle centerline against the center of the wheel?

The wavy lines probably don't matter as much for 20 x 9 wheels as they might for smaller diameter wheels with different spoke backside contours.

Norm

Did you actually measure your template to verify that as printed it matched the dimensions called out on it? How were you centering the template's axle centerline against the center of the wheel?

The wavy lines probably don't matter as much for 20 x 9 wheels as they might for smaller diameter wheels with different spoke backside contours.

Norm
I measured with a clear ruler the printed template. Everything matched exactly to the measurements that are listed. It only works if the PDF is downloaded first then printed. If printed directly from the weblink the entire size of the template is scaled down by somethin like 5 mm the whole way around. The end of the "bell" ( yellow line on the BMW example attached) gets centered directly over the wheel bore. I'm off a little bit in the photo in post 2 but made sure it was centered after. I was able to move the S197 template 5mm out past center, 5mm in past center and still maintain inner wheel clearance and spoke clearance.

bmw-m3-brake-clearance1.jpg
1611753277343.png

Norm
Sorry I was not clear. The wavy lines that I was talking about that I cut strait are circled in yellow. My thought was if the caliper clears the strait cuts to the x'd high points in a wheel it should clear the low wavy parts areas that are not cut out. I messed up the first cutout attempt so errored bigger.

InkedDSCN8259_LI.jpg

In the V6L
You're attacking this problem the right way, and having done this a few times, there's one suggestion I'd make. The template itself is a little too generic so I'd recommend making a little change. What the Brembo drawing doesn't give you is an outline of the wheel centerbore, which is something that other brake suppliers usually do. This means you have to eyeball getting the template in the right place. I'd suggest making a cardboard rectangle the exact width of the wheel centerbore (70.5 mm) and attaching it to the template with it's centerline aligned to the marked wheel center. That way, you can drop the rectangle into the wheel centerbore and it'll hold the template in the right alignment while you're fiddling around with spacers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Or make a mark (or protrusion) on the template that is 35.25mm from the centerline mark on the bell/hat.

From what I can see, you should be fine with either spacer. Just harder to be certain from pics.

Or make a mark (or protrusion) on the template that is 35.25mm from the centerline mark on the bell/hat.

From what I can see, you should be fine with either spacer. Just harder to be certain from pics.
Thanks! It's hard to see what's going on in pics. 12 mm it will be , actually 12.7 mm. I can only find 1/2". Non hubcentric - hopefully the hub lip is just long enough to catch the wheel or I'll just throw some bubble gum in there. It's only for the street wheels.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5338634152&icep_item=380972457873

Thanks! It's hard to see what's going on in pics. 12 mm it will be , actually 12.7 mm. I can only find 1/2". Non hubcentric - hopefully the hub lip is just long enough to catch the wheel or I'll just throw some bubble gum in there. It's only for the street wheels.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5338634152&icep_item=380972457873
Most board members would probably steer you towards OP Mustang's hub-centric spacers and extended ARP studs (which he also offers). OP has a bunch of different thicknesses available and you have the confidence that they're hub centric and are well-made (as well as being a board-supporting vendor). I personally wouldn't trust any bolt-on spacers from eBay to hold on my wheels in any environment, but that is solely my opinion.
1611778986967.png
1611779017411.png
1611779032216.png

Most board members would probably steer you towards OP Mustang's hub-centric spacers and extended ARP studs (which he also offers). OP has a bunch of different thicknesses available and you have the confidence that they're hub centric and are well-made (as well as being a board-supporting vendor). I personally wouldn't trust any bolt-on spacers from eBay to hold on my wheels in any environment, but that is solely my opinion.
View attachment 61601
View attachment 61602
View attachment 61603
Good advice. Unfortunately 12 mm hunbcentric spacers are only available for S550 with the center cap on our sponsor sites. The 1/2" street spacers are stud slide over with no studs. I have Ford Racing hubs with the extended ARP studs in the mail right now and will be ordering the hubcentric 25 mm spacers when I order my pads, open lug nuts and titanium shims. I will not be going near and of those spacers with the installed studs. Think about it --- steel studs secured through aluminum and stress and/or flexion just does not work well together. It's a inevitable break over time.

Last edited:

Grant 302

I’d still stick with hub centric ones for 1/2”.

Cars are much safer say in an accident if the wheels don’t pop off in a minor collision. Or just for pot holes in some cities I’ve visited.

I’d still stick with hub centric ones for 1/2”.

Cars are much safer say in an accident if the wheels don’t pop off in a minor collision. Or just for pot holes in some cities I’ve visited.
I would if I could find a set for a S197. The ones listed on OP are in both S197 and S550 drop downs but only work on S550's. At least that's what the state. I'll look around more.

I would if I could find a set for a S197. The ones listed on OP are in both S197 and S550 drop downs but only work on S550's. At least that's what the state. I'll look around more.
Just brainstorming here, but what about the 15mm ones? They appear to fit and compared to 1/2" (12.7mm) it's only an increase of 2mm. You could also contact OP Mustang and see if he has any advice or would be willing to make a custom set. I'd trust him to know the best for any given scenario. Sorry if I came on too strong, I just really don't care for the idea of my wheels popping off and (as you can see from the pictures) have seen it happen to others.

Grant 302

Yeah, best to ask them. Not sure how it couldn’t work on S197, but I don’t have an S550.

Just brainstorming here, but what about the 15mm ones? They appear to fit and compared to 1/2" (12.7mm) it's only an increase of 2mm. You could also contact OP Mustang and see if he has any advice or would be willing to make a custom set. I'd trust him to know the best for any given scenario. Sorry if I came on too strong, I just really don't care for the idea of my wheels popping off and (as you can see from the pictures) have seen it happen to others.
Yeah, best to ask them. Not sure how it couldn’t work on S197, but I don’t have an S550.
Just spent another 40min looking for 12mm or 1/2" hubcentrics for an S197. 15 mm is the way I'll have to go. I was trying to go as low as I could with the 12mm's with the thought that I would hypotherically like to keep the camber no more than 2 for the street tires. The reality is I have no idea what the camber will have to be until everything is in place..... I was, also, thinking and knowing that in the past few weeks and future few weeks that I have and will be dishing out a crap load of cash and had a flighty moment of thinking I could save a hundred bucks on spacers. My dumb arse should know that by now with all of the research and due diligence that I have done that saving a couple bucks is not going to happen and is not going to be the "right" way to go. $125 and figuring out that I can use spacers and maybe a bit more camber with my OEM's to make them work is way better than having to find used track pack wheels with maybe purchasing another set of tires and trying to sell the ones I have. Even worse - what if can't find what I want and have to order 2 sets of wheels instead of 1 plus another set of tires in a few weeks. Thank you for the help fellas and everyone else that has contributed to this thread!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel