The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Off Topic MT82 Transmission Opinion Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does it stand to reason that a MT82 bolted to a stock 5.0 crate motor would hold up to drag racing in a 3200 pound car with slicks?

I ask because I'm considering building a car for the coyote stock NMRA drag race series. If I build it, I want to be able to keep it street legal. The M82 seems to compliment the new 5.0 power band better than other transmissions and it would allow me use less rear end gear. I would have to shift into the 1:1 5th gear though.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
it would hold up. I would think. What body style mustang you going to run it in? the shifter will be to far back in a fox body. I have a friend that is racing in that class. To be competitive you need to run at least mid 10's with the factory ford tune. He has won some races and taken some second places.

Most likely the clutch will go before the trans.

The MT 82 would hold up for a while but it isnt designed for drag race abuse. The clutch is the weakest link for sure and should be replaced.

Unless you already have the MT82, I would look at a T56 instead and put 4.56's in the rear diff to approximate the MT82's stock ratios. Much stronger and can handle the shock loads of high rpm launches and power shifting and the semi remote shifter in the MT82 isnt perfect for drag racing either.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I would not use an MT-82 or it's clutch for drag racing. From what I've seen from hard use on road courses IMHO it would not hold up to all those high G launches for very long.

Justin said:
it would hold up. I would think. What body style mustang you going to run it in? the shifter will be to far back in a fox body. I have a friend that is racing in that class. To be competitive you need to run at least mid 10's with the factory ford tune. He has won some races and taken some second places.

I like the 94-98's best. I hadn't considered how far back the shifter would be. I know the 94's used a longer input shaft than the 93's. I'll have to do some research.

NewBossowner said:
The MT 82 would hold up for a while but it isnt designed for drag race abuse. The clutch is the weakest link for sure and should be replaced.

Unless you already have the MT82, I would look at a T56 instead and put 4.56's in the rear diff to approximate the MT82's stock ratios. Much stronger and can handle the shock loads of high rpm launches and power shifting and the semi remote shifter in the MT82 isnt perfect for drag racing either.

That is certainly the tried and true way to go. I think these cars are actually using 4:88's. Irromically, 4:88 is what the MT82 equates to in 4th gear matched with 3:73's. I would love to have a 10 second street car that I could drive to the track. That's why I'd like to use the MT82.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
First, 95-95 sits 5/8" farther back than a fox (longer bell housing and input shaft).

Second, every shift loses time. I'd go with the t56. 4 gears to 1:1 instead of 5. And you get double overdrive for streetability. And you can get the boxes in multiple shifter locations.

TMO Supporting Vendors