The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Official Ford Oil Consumption Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTMikey said:
12'

I guess is something they have known about but it affected some cars differently that others. This is all back channel information from the people in engineering at Ford....
Don't be surprised if they replace your long block. There have been a couple of others reported with this issue. It was reported that there was an actual defect in the machining and one of the stud holes was too close to the combustion chamber and that caused the head to warp or worse. Keep us posted on the outcome.

I wonder if that was what caused my engine to blow at 25k. They told me the head warped & # 3 piston started hitting the valves. Didn't notice too much oil consumption though.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
So this is affecting 2012's only? This is quite alarming. Is there anything we can do to pro-actively know if our engine has this problem. I purchased 5/13/12 and have 1165 miles. No mods and no track days. Broke the engine in according to Ford. Maybe need extended warranty now. Oh man :(

VWGTI123 said:
So this is affecting 2012's only? This is quite alarming. Is there anything we can do to pro-actively know if our engine has this problem. I purchased 5/13/12 and have 1165 miles. No mods and no track days. Broke the engine in according to Ford. Maybe need extended warranty now. Oh man :(
Just the 12's. There's a big thread on this subject and it was about a member who had his engine replaced. If this problem doesn't show up during your five year warranty it's not going to be an issue. It was only on a very limited number of cars.

Over tightening causes a valve guide to go bad? That's kinda funny to hear that
I've been building heads for a long long time and have never heard that excuse before

Now a galled guide or a issue with guide to valve Clarence sounds like a more plausible issue.

Or a ring pack. Hence why some are having the long blocks replaced. That's what I would fig for myself

boss man said:
any idea what number boss was his. this would help gauge which bosses may have this problem.

I believe you are referring to my Boss #1952(2012). Look under cracked piston thread in Technical forum. Complete engine was replaced with no issues seen yet.

ace72ace said:
So er, um, what was the final outcome? New block, entire motor?

Left side heads. known issue in first 600-700 Coyote motors with a drill hole being off. Some blow up, some smoke, some are fixed.

BLAZN BOSS

My car has 13000...........drove to the 50th annv in Charlotte..........5 1/2 hours one way.........about 100 miles while i was there.............5 1/2 hours back................oil on the full mark. I'm lucky i guess

Seems to be pretty random but what I picked up talking to several people is that some things were changed in how they made the motors after about 700 cars in 2012. Who knows, but heard that more than once. Car runs great, track monster, love it.

GTMikey, any engine noises associated with your first trip in for diagnosis last spring or just the oil consumption?

Blazn - what is your BOSS production #?

Z20WHAT said:
GTMikey, any engine noises associated with your first trip in for diagnosis last spring or just the oil consumption?

Blazn - what is your BOSS production #?

No engine noises. If you track these cars and shift at 7300-7500 you are gonna use a little oil:) LS #204. My honest opinion is I do not think the trackey tune was dialed in 100%. At the 50th we enjoyed 8 open track sessions of balls to the wall racing and used a quart.

GTMikey said:
My honest opinion is I do not think the trackey tune was dialed in 100%.
I don't think TK has anything to do with this. I had TK installed the first week it was available and haven't had any issues. I have not had TK reflashed or updated. So far I have not seen a single issue on any car that was related to TK. TK is solid and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I don't think there's much to worry about on the head hole drilling not being perfect in some of the earlier cars. If you haven't had an issue by now you're probably not going to. Regardless the earliest builds still have almost two years left on the power train warranty. I'd be surprised if Ford had to replace more than 20 engines related to this issue. For the record mine is #1049.

My car burned more oil than I would have liked for the first 10,000 miles and has now gone to almost no oil consumption. I drove to and from Vegas and did the track day on Friday and the oil level barely moved.

GTMikey said:
No engine noises. If you track these cars and shift at 7300-7500 you are gonna use a little oil:) LS #204. My honest opinion is I do not think the trackey tune was dialed in 100%. At the 50th we enjoyed 8 open track sessions of balls to the wall racing and used a quart.
i thought there was a speed limit for these on track sessions?

The speed limit on that track is what you can reach on the main straight, maybe 115-120 in a Boss:)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel