The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Official Ford Oil Consumption Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After blowing some blue smoke while in gear and foot off the gas and using oil, I brought the Boss in to the Dealer, Ford started an official oil consumption test. It burned 3.5 quarts in 800 miles on a 10,000 mile car. I'm not an expert but that's bad!!! Hs anyone else had the dealer/ford run this test? Just curious as to what to expect. I would hope they would step up and replace the motor. I am hearing about a lot of 2012's using oil.

ArizonaGT said:
Never heard of that, but yes, that's pretty bad. I think you will be getting a new engine soon.
I agree.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Just checked mine since it's 1,400 oil change, its at 4300 now and it's between 2 holes on dipstick

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Official Ford Oil Consumption Test

NFSBOSS said:
That would be hard for me to do. I like to verify my rev limiter works every time I drive mine. ;D
Not to mention, these cars just rev so easily and begged to be driven. I promise my wife everytime I'll be good, and every time she gets out screaming it's the last time she'll drive with me

GTMikey said:
Ford is sending an engineer to look at the engine in the Laguna Seca. Our guess is rings are bad. Ford has been great through this, could not be happier with their engineering group.

As much as its a PITA that you are having to go through this...its good to see Ford is stepping up to the plate and doing what they should do.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT

unrealford said:
Not to mention, these cars just rev so easily and begged to be driven. I promise my wife everytime I'll be good, and every time she gets out screaming it's the last time she'll drive with me

haha I know that feeling

Interested to watch this thread progress and see what the outcome is.

unrealford said:

My wife went once, she won`t get in the car again. Honest, I have no idea why. It works out well, theres no voice saying `slow down, don`t drive so fast, OMG what are you doing `

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

NewBossowner said:
My wife went once, she won`t get in the car again. Honest, I have no idea why. It works out well, theres no voice saying `slow down, don`t drive so fast, OMG what are you doing `

That's funny my wife is the complete opposite. She is constantly asking to go for a ride and when she see's and empty parking lot or open space she wants me to do donuts!

Tucson302 said:
That's funny my wife is the complete opposite. She is constantly asking to go for a ride and when she see's and empty parking lot or open space she wants me to do donuts!

Does your wife have an unmarried sister? ;)

Tucson302 said:

Funny, my mom is 80 and she likes riding in it, and loves it when I drive it fast. She has always liked all my hotrods and loved riding in them whenever I was home. She even drove my 440 4spd Cuda that I had in my 20's. That was a Feat, it had a Ram automotive Cleaning lady in it for a clutch.

GTMikey said:
Still waiting, have not heard anything yet. Going on 6 weeks since we started this consumption test. Car has been idle for 2 weeks at the dealer collecting dust.

Man this sucks to hear!!

Bay Area
GTMikey said:
Apparently, there was an issue in the production in quite a few early coyote motors where the heads on the left side were over-tightened with a miss-calibrated machine. This causes issue with the valve guides causing blow by. The engines compression is fine. Ford is replacing the heads under warranty and hopefully all will be well.

Is there any way to find out how early of production and was it on a 12 or 13 engine?

TMO Supporting Vendors