The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oh oh.... What was that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was out in the garage taking my shift knob off and in the middle of it I heard a very loud pop (like the sound a light bulb makes when you drop it and it breaks, but 10 times louder) and saw a flash of white light in front of my car. The key wasn't in the car, nothing was on, just twisting on the shift knob. I had really bad thoughts wondering what that could be, but everything works.... all lights, engine starts, a/c runs... nothing seems amiss. And nothing in the garage is amiss. I don't know what the hell it was, but it's probably going to bite me in the a$$ when I least expect it.

Is it possible you bumped the directional lever, pulled it toward you, and flashed the headlights? That would explain the flash. The sound isn't quite like you described, but it did surprise me the first time I did this in the garage. It's a lot louder than I expected. Actually, I wasn't expecting a sound at all.

Yes, the headlights work. That's the first thing I thought of. And I was sitting on the passenger side, so I couldn't have bumped the headlight lever.

wow that would freak me out too,

a spare bulb inside your garage opener headunit may have just busted , theres two bulbs in there, one on each side, its happened to me :)

It was the imploding of the head of a ZL1 Camaro owner from an alternate universe (where they all live);D I had it happen close to me while cruising the Chick Fil A. Good thing their heaps do not travel back from the dark side when they are sent back after the motors explode and all the bits fall off the interiors. That would be ugly :eek:

Mike

No........No..........

That wasn't the head of a Camaro fan, that was his LS3 engine going, "POP"

What I want to know is what has GM done to prevent oil starvation?

Any of the non-dry-sump LS motors can lose crank or rod bearings by sustaining over 1g cornering for more than 5 seconds straight. For a modern small block, LS motors are pretty good for everything except keeping oil around the crank while cornering.

Or did I miss somthing and GM has fixed this?

Suggested reading...........

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
JonW said:
I was out in the garage taking my shift knob off and in the middle of it I heard a very loud pop (like the sound a light bulb makes when you drop it and it breaks, but 10 times louder) and saw a flash of white light in front of my car. The key wasn't in the car, nothing was on, just twisting on the shift knob. I had really bad thoughts wondering what that could be, but everything works.... all lights, engine starts, a/c runs... nothing seems amiss. And nothing in the garage is amiss. I don't know what the hell it was, but it's probably going to bite me in the a$$ when I least expect it.

Any updates on this?

TMO Supporting Vendors