The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Analysis Reports

I know some people enjoy the fine art of arguing over oil and oil analysis. I thought I'd create a thread to share my first report, but hope others might share theirs for comparable data.

As you will see from my report, not a lot of miles on my Boss yet, but changed the oil for winter storage. I will update this thread over time with my reports:
oil+report.png
 
Thanks for sharing.
 
I'm torn... going to be doing my first oil change soon and have decisions to make. I've always used Amsoil in my previous cars but Amsoil doesn't make a 5w-50. Amsoil makes a 10w-40 that is supposed to be comparable and from all I've read doesn't shear like the motorcraft 5w-50. The other deciding factor is the dealership I purchased from threw in two free oil changes (no restrictions either as far as quart limits and such...). So I could just go back to the dealership and let them do the oil change with the Motorcraft stuff. Given the miles I drive, the car will realistically only get one oil change per year. I'm leaning toward just taking the free oil change and sticking with the 5w-50 just to avoid warranty issues. Any thoughts?
 
cbj5259 said:
I'm torn... going to be doing my first oil change soon and have decisions to make. I've always used Amsoil in my previous cars but Amsoil doesn't make a 5w-50. Amsoil makes a 10w-40 that is supposed to be comparable and from all I've read doesn't shear like the motorcraft 5w-50. The other deciding factor is the dealership I purchased from threw in two free oil changes (no restrictions either as far as quart limits and such...). So I could just go back to the dealership and let them do the oil change with the Motorcraft stuff. Given the miles I drive, the car will realistically only get one oil change per year. I'm leaning toward just taking the free oil change and sticking with the 5w-50 just to avoid warranty issues. Any thoughts?
I've been told that Motorcraft oil is Mobil 1 oil. I've been using LiquiMoly all racing season because it ran 20 degrees lower in temp than the Motorcraft oil. I don't have any oil tests done because I change the oil after every race weekend. No oil consumption and the oil doesn't smell burnt like the Motorcraft oil did. Just my observations.....
 
My first UOA at 2861mi: High Si (30ppm, hopefully just break-in), low viscosity (13.2cSt @100C, sheared Motorcraft 5w50)

Attempting to attach image of Wix UOA report via photobucket.....
2861miUOA_zpscae94147.png
 
i was too excited to do my first oil change... and i forgot to take a sample until it was too late and contaminated in an old container :(

this is a good thread tho, lets keep it up!
 
cbj5259 said:
I'm torn... going to be doing my first oil change soon and have decisions to make. I've always used Amsoil in my previous cars but Amsoil doesn't make a 5w-50. Amsoil makes a 10w-40 that is supposed to be comparable and from all I've read doesn't shear like the motorcraft 5w-50. The other deciding factor is the dealership I purchased from threw in two free oil changes (no restrictions either as far as quart limits and such...). So I could just go back to the dealership and let them do the oil change with the Motorcraft stuff. Given the miles I drive, the car will realistically only get one oil change per year. I'm leaning toward just taking the free oil change and sticking with the 5w-50 just to avoid warranty issues. Any thoughts?
I was/am a die hard Amsoil fan and used them on almost everything I owned, until I purchased my Boss. I was worried that a dealership would be quick to blame the incorrect weight if something was to every happen. After doing a lot of research, I went with Redline 5w-50. Not as good as the Amsoil 10w-40, but a lot better than Motorcraft. I still use the Amsoil filter, however. I am a cheap ass and would definitely use those free oil changes too.
 
LindsayEOD said:
I was/am a die hard Amsoil fan and used them on almost everything I owned, until I purchased my Boss. I was worried that a dealership would be quick to blame the incorrect weight if something was to every happen. After doing a lot of research, I went with Redline 5w-50. Not as good as the Amsoil 10w-40, but a lot better than Motorcraft. I still use the Amsoil filter, however. I am a cheap ass and would definitely use those free oil changes too.

Yeah, given the fact that I (A. Don't track the car and (B. Probably won't put more than 1500 miles a year on the car, I'm thinking my choice in oil is just overkill. I'm sure for what I use the car for ( weekend driver, some spirited back roads blasts and car shows) the motor craft will be fine. I think if I ever became serious about racing the car, it would matter a lot more.
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,799
1,346
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
If you don't track, mod or tune the car I would not worry about improving on any of the Motorcraft fluids. Follow the recomended service intervals and check your oil every other gas fill up.
If you do track then I would advise using a double ester true sythetic from Motul, Castrol TWS, Mobil 1 European formula etc. I run Motul 300V 15W50 and I have seen a decrease in temperature both coolant and oil and als maintains a higher hot idle oil pressure after a track session. I was previously using Mobil 1 0W40 which is a high quality oil but was showing evidence of shearing after back to back track days on a single weekend.
Steve
 
steveespo said:
If you don't track, mod or tune the car I would not worry about improving on any of the Motorcraft fluids. Follow the recomended service intervals and check your oil every other gas fill up.
If you do track then I would advise using a double ester true sythetic from Motul, Castrol TWS, Mobil 1 European formula etc. I run Motul 300V 15W50 and I have seen a decrease in temperature both coolant and oil and als maintains a higher hot idle oil pressure after a track session. I was previously using Mobil 1 0W40 which is a high quality oil but was showing evidence of shearing after back to back track days on a single weekend.
Steve

Sounds like good advice. I just want to make sure I'm treating my baby right! ;D
 
I just got in my oil analysis report from Blackstone.
On this oil, I have about 300-400 track miles (~weekends). Seems like my lead count is high - not sure if I should be worried, or really worried!
Per the comment, the high lead count might be due to race gas, which I do mix 50/50 Sunoco 100oct race gas at the track, I'm hoping that's the reason. Or is my engine's going to go kaput soon?! :eek:

Any thoughts guys?
I'll be sending in another sample as recommended.

13%20BOSS%20302-080615-mod_zpszg1txiof.png
 
F.D. Sako said:
I just got in my oil analysis report from Blackstone.
On this oil, I have about 300-400 track miles (~weekends). Seems like my lead count is high - not sure if I should be worried, or really worried!
Per the comment, the high lead count might be due to race gas, which I do mix 50/50 Sunoco 100oct race gas at the track, I'm hoping that's the reason. Or is my engine's going to go kaput soon?! :eek:

Any thoughts guys?
I'll be sending in another sample as recommended.

13%20BOSS%20302-080615-mod_zpszg1txiof.png
What are you thinking could be wrong if there is high lead content? The block is aluminum I though along with pretty much everything else so I wouldn't think anything is wearing on it.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,715
3,916
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Lead can indicate a deterioration of bearing linings. Rod and main bearings usually have Lead, tin, copper and other metals sandwiched into each bearing.

If the racing gas used is a 100 leaded or 100 low lead, this can throw off the oil numbers.
 
Brandon, just like Tracy and the analysis comment mention, I may have excessive bearing wear.

Tracy, I'm believe the race gas was unleaded.
Are there any per-indicators to a main bearing going out that I should look for, or is it something that when it goes... it goes?
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,715
3,916
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
F.D. Sako said:
Brandon, just like Tracy and the analysis comment mention, I may have excessive bearing wear.

Tracy, I'm believe the race gas was unleaded.
Are there any per-indicators to a main bearing going out that I should look for, or is it something that when it goes... it goes?
Metals in the oil, lower oil pressure and noises from a loose bearing come to mind.
A second test on clean oil may either confirm the analysis....or not.
 
Here are my UOAs over the last three years. I generally change the oil when I have an upcoming track day and my OLM is approaching 50-60%; if no upcoming track day, I'll wait until my OLM is approaching 40-45%. My highest lead was 7ppm (once), and that was with 5592 miles and three track days. Otherwise, my lead is shown as 3ppm.

The first two UOAs below were before any track days. The four most recent UOAs shown below cover a total of 9 track days. I just sent away for another UOA covering an additional 5 track days.... it's been a busy summer!

Boss%20UOAs_zps5ybtj21b.png
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top