The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Blow By

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there are threads on oil separators. I have the UPR separator on the passenger side and their filter on the driver side.

After a track session (Watkins Glen) I was told smoke was coming out of exhaust pipes. In the off camber left I blew tons of smoke out the exhaust.

When I arrived home I noticed oil on the ground. Thinking its the dreaded loose oil filter bit no. Its dripping out the air filter into the air box and out the drain hole.

There was lots of oil in the filter itself and oil residue in the intake pipe.

At the track I thought maybe the passenger side separator was full and the engine sucked some oil. When I drained the separator, the liquid came out like a mixture if water and oil, not what I expected. Last time I emptied this it was all oil.

I thought the driver side was supposed to be the clean side and no need for a separator.

Any thoughts on why I have so much oil coming from the passenger side breather.

Separator will be on car before next track day but the oil blow but worries me a bit. I was down a full quart on a car that does not burn oil.

You need a driver side separator. I have seen this on several 2015+ Mustangs. Also, make sure you do not overfill the oil. The S197 seamed to tolerate a bit of overfill, but it exacerbates the condition you are describing in the newer cars.

If you track the car often, I would suggest an actual breather setup and removing the PCV valve.

Don't worry about the passenger side looking like a mixture of water and oil. Moisture accumulates in the oil until you reach operating temperature and it boils off. If you remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover after the car sits for a few days in a humid / wet environment and you will see a lot of white / milky residue until the motor heats back up.

Thanks for the responses. I do have the UPR clean side separator. I did reach out to UPR to see if maybe there was something wrong with their unit.
I track the car 6 times a year. (I need more track time in my life).

TMO Supporting Vendors