The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil catch can on late model S550?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
For typical track days, are these still beneficial with the DI Coyotes? Thinking of all the preventive stuff I can protect the mechanicals with. If so, recommended types/brands? Thx for any inputs.

sfo
Most people put these on because others tell them to. Most have not tested to see if they need them. When I was racing my last C5Z06 vette my 1st motor did not use or blow any oil. Then the next motor needed a catchcan. My next again used no oil before it blew up on it's 5th weekend at Indy. My next motor made the right power but needed a modified catch can that drained back to the sump because it blew so much oil. It is very hard to get an engine built properly. My S550 I bought new in 2019, gutted it welded in cage and it uses zero oil and I run no catch cans. IMO breaking in motors motorcycle style reduces the likelihood of oil blowby but a bad rebuilder can still beat you.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
I run the UPR catch can and clean side separator on my GT350 and pull out a good amount of oil regularly, especially after track weekends. I'm happy with the quality of the part, ease of install, and ease of draining. Happy to share more details if you have specific questions.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I run the UPR catch can and clean side separator on my GT350 and pull out a good amount of oil regularly, especially after track weekends. I'm happy with the quality of the part, ease of install, and ease of draining. Happy to share more details if you have specific questions.

Thx. I was looking into the Ford Perf passenger side, have you compared, or they’re basically the same, doing the simple function?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Thx. I was looking into the Ford Perf passenger side, have you compared, or they’re basically the same, doing the simple function?

They do the same thing. I liked the clean side separator aspect (catch can not really necessary for clean side, but wanted something there), and I prefer the UPR method for ease of emptying - one thumbscrew, unscrew the canister and empty.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
GT350 oil catch 1.jpgGT350 oil catch 2.jpg20210906_115032.jpg
If the car experiences a lot of lateral G's, it is worth it. I like the FP because it looks like it belongs there. This is after 5 track days and ~5000 miles. I "conditioned" the motor when I left the dealership using the technique from a motorcycle engine builder website listed somewhere on this site.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
If the car experiences a lot of lateral G's, it is worth it. I like the FP because it looks like it belongs there. This is after 5 track days and ~5000 miles. I "conditioned" the motor when I left the dealership using the technique from a motorcycle engine builder website listed somewhere on this site.

Good pics! I track Auto Club Speedway Roval, the CCW banking at T1-T2 has high Gs. I assume more useful on left turns?

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I only see oil in the passenger side. Never any in the driver side.

I didn't either, until the G's in right corners got up over 1.6. Then I got massive smoking and a full catch can. There are no baffles in the stock GT cover, fixed it with the baffled cover that is available from Ford.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
JDee and CRivolsato are both fast, and that is a good indication for drivers if they need something --- as the quick guys who get into some serious g's! I am an observer and listener and pass on some things I have heard from folks I respect, and that includes the Ford Performance Engineers who have popped up at the Mustang Roundup for the last 11 years ( this will be the 12th ). I asked them when I had my Bosses and my GT 350 if I should get the full system for both sides or just the catch can for the passenger side. Referenced all the comments here and elsewhere about needing just the one, and their response was simple, " Bill, there is a reason why there is a dual set-up, would suggest you go that route." JDee answers with an example and I still think it is a smart choice -- not much more for the two over just the single.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
JDee and CRivolsato are both fast, and that is a good indication for drivers if they need something --- as the quick guys who get into some serious g's! I am an observer and listener and pass on some things I have heard from folks I respect, and that includes the Ford Performance Engineers who have popped up at the Mustang Roundup for the last 11 years ( this will be the 12th ). I asked them when I had my Bosses and my GT 350 if I should get the full system for both sides or just the catch can for the passenger side. Referenced all the comments here and elsewhere about needing just the one, and their response was simple, " Bill, there is a reason why there is a dual set-up, would suggest you go that route." JDee answers with an example and I still think it is a smart choice -- not much more for the two over just the single.

Great sense, Bill, thanks, cheap insurance to get both sides. Another related question to @JDee and @CRisolvato, when I tracked my prev E46 M3 it is advisable to keep oil levels even above full, 1/2 to quart over. With the Coyotes what is the best fill, at full mark? Trying to avoid vaporization, cavitation of course.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Great sense, Bill, thanks, cheap insurance to get both sides. Another related question to @JDee and @CRisolvato, when I tracked my prev E46 M3 it is advisable to keep oil levels even above full, 1/2 to quart over. With the Coyotes what is the best fill, at full mark? Trying to avoid vaporization, cavitation of course.
Biggest risk at high g's with stock pan is oil sloshing away from pickup. Loss of pressure for even a second can be catastrophic, at minimum it's going to put a lot of wear on parts. Really should consider a good baffled road race pan. Will give you bonus of more oil capacity.
I wouldn't run over the full mark, no telling what that might do.

In the V6L
The easiest way to tell if you need the driver's side catch can is to take off the breather pipe that connects the valve cover to the intake tube. If it's got oil in it, get a catch can. If it's dry, don't bother. I had the driver's side one on my car and it never collected anything, so I took it off.

TMO Supporting Vendors