The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil catch can question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I'm looking to put oil catch cans on my Boss. Ford performance only makes a passenger side can, being that the passenger side is the vacuum side as I understand it is there any reason to install a drivers side can? From JLT or someone. Thanks in advance for any information.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
So I'm looking to put oil catch cans on my Boss. Ford performance only makes a passenger side can, being that the passenger side is the vacuum side as I understand it is there any reason to install a drivers side can? From JLT or someone. Thanks in advance for any information.

No. You’ll never see any oil accumulation on the L/Side catch can.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
When you have more crankcase pressure than the PCV system can handle that's when oil starts showing up on the drivers side. If you engine is getting tired, excessive blowby or a malfunction in the PCV system.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Actually the L/Side of the OEM PCV System draws air into the engine & is why you won’t find oil in that side.

Under peak vacuum conditions, like engine idle, off throttle moments etc. oil vapor comes into the IM from the R/Side. On that side, the PCV hose comes off the PCV Valve and connects directly to the IM behind the TB, (vacuum side). Air flows 1 way in the PCV closed loop system.

Just remove the hoses on both sides & poke a rolled up paper towel inside each hose from the IM & Intake Tube sides. You’ll see very quickly where there is and is not oil. And you won’t find oil in your IM inlet Tube.

So save your money, just buy one can.

Last edited:
I like the Moroso catch can kit, it's baffled and has a nice bracket that supports it. The JLT hangs from the hoses and can be flimsy. You can also go with the full race Peterson catch can but it is pricey. Here is what the Moroso can looks like.
85628_85629_install_part.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors