The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil change intervals for tracked cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Fastduo said:
ArizonaGT said:
Fastduo said:
This is great information. How do you send the sample to them? Do they provide the container?
I just turned 1000K miles and changed my oil. First track day with this car is on October 28th at Homestead Miami Speedway.
My rule of thumb has always change the oil after two events, usually 4 track days at approx 8 hrs of track time plus some miles on the street. Fresh is best !

Dude welcome to the site, glad to see you picked up a B302 to replace your other S197!

Thank you. Just purchased some upgrades from another member here so I can't wait to get her out on track. It is an awsome car. Ford did a great job on this one. (PS.....hate the shifter. I haven't caught up on the threads about that yet)

I'm sure you can't go wrong with the MGW (everyone will agree). I got the Hurst billet competition shifter[1] and its great also. It appears the shifter is probably the weakest component of the car all-in-all.

[1] http://www.cjponyparts.com/hurst-manual-shifter-competition-plus-short-throw-v6-gt-boss-302-2011-2012/p/MS12/

Fastduo said:
This is great information. How do you send the sample to them? Do they provide the container?
I just turned 1000K miles and changed my oil. First track day with this car is on October 28th at Homestead Miami Speedway.
My rule of thumb has always change the oil after two events, usually 4 track days at approx 8 hrs of track time plus some miles on the street. Fresh is best !

Rene! Great to see you here, can't wait to see you at an event.

Looks like I'll be at Daytona with PBOC next month, any idea if you'll run with NASA latter in the year?

Boss_302 said:
Fastduo said:

Looks like I'll be at Daytona with PBOC next month, any idea if you'll run with NASA latter in the year?

Doug....is that you? LOL Thanks man. Love Daytona. I have a very tight work schedule for the rest of the year so I am trying to squeeze a track day in here or there. Which NASA event are you referring to?

To original poster....sorry for hijacking your thread. Let's make this relavent. Doug, do you ck your oil at a lab ;D

Fastduo said:
ArizonaGT said:
Make sure you get the Laguna trans cooler scoop before you hit the track.

Is that a Ford part or aftermarket?
Here you go.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/FORD-RACING-TRANSMISSION-COOLER-AIR-SCOOP-MANUAL-GT-2011-2012/p/M5025MBR/

Fastduo said:
Boss_302 said:
Fastduo said:

Looks like I'll be at Daytona with PBOC next month, any idea if you'll run with NASA later in the year?

Doug....is that you? LOL Thanks man. Love Daytona. I have a very tight work schedule for the rest of the year so I am trying to squeeze a track day in here or there. Which NASA event are you referring to?

To original poster....sorry for hijacking your thread. Let's make this relavent. Doug, do you ck your oil at a lab ;D

No I just change the oil before a weekend at the track................

NASA has their last event for 2012, 6-7 Oct so I'm waiting for the '13 schedule to be released.

If their schedule is like last year first event should be in January down at Homestead and I'd like to come down to your neck of the woods and run an event there...........

Fastduo said:
Thank you, with a car this valuable, I think I will start doing this also. Appreciate it.
Getting stats on how your oil is doing is certainly valuable, but more importantly a lab analysis tells you how your ENGINE is doing. If you have something going on like rod bearing wear or coolant in the oil it will give you an early warning on the problem. I get a periodic lab test on all my cars including my '04 Subi with 196,000 miles on it.

FWIW I have an 02 M3 race car and it sees between 1700-2000 track miles per year and I only change the oil once per year and send the oil to Blackstone, the motor has 94K on it, and per my reports all is good, oil temp stays between 245-275 depending on air temp and I use Redline.

Now with this car it will probably only see 2-4 track days per year, but I will probably send off the oil just to keep a record of it. Different viscosities of oil, engine component makeup, miles on oil etc will really dictate how often to change your oil, and sending it off for analysis is the only accurate way to really have an answer.

Re: Oil change intervals for tracked cars? Lab results!

ChuckP said:
Looks like Motorcraft 5W50 held up nicely after 8 track days and 1500 road miles. Lab says I could probably go a couple more track days before a change but I don't think I'll push it that far. However, it's good to know it seems to handle track stress fairly well.
Oil-12BOSS-081512_zpsb1bb882c.jpg

That is the best assessment of Motorcraft i have ever seen. Most look pretty below average. Just sent mine off on Sunday so well see how well the Amsoil fared.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel