The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil change intervals for tracked cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right now I'm following the same oil change plan I've been using on my Porsche: Change the oil after 2 track events. Just curious what the rest of you track junkies do as far as the frequency of oil changes. With about 7200 miles on my Boss and 2 track events (June and August) since the last change I'll be changing the oil this weekend and sending out a sample for analysis.

Sesshomurai

Do you consider a "track event" as a single day? I was at a 2 day track event last weekend and am doing another this weekend. Is that 4 track events or 2?
However, that seems rather soon. I always go by the color (opacity) of the oil if I think its due after heavy use like this. Open to new methods though!

Modern synthetics are very good oils. If durty or dark cange it, if the car got hot change it, and run the motor until warm dip it and look for sparkles in bright sun. Other than that the oil is very good. Some have said that it changes viscosity very quickly ( true ) but that is the target running condition not out of the bottle. The biggest reason in the past for changing so often does not exist on a modern computer motor. In the old days we ran fat to control combustion temps as a result the rings got washed buy fuel. Also the fuel diluted, sooted, and changed the oils chemistry.
On my full all out race car two to three two day weekends with Mobil 1. Any sparkles pan off caps off.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Darren
I ran out there with you at Summit Point and had run 2 weeks earlier at lime rock. Total of 5:45 hour of track time and 900 miles of travel to the tracks, plus anther 300 since my last oil/filter change. At the end of Sunday sessions I was seeing the idle oil pressure fall to 22 psi, normally the OP at idle is 29-32 on my car and I set the warning light at 27. In speaking to the Moyul rep at Laguna Seca today he said that it is a sign of viscosity shear and I should change the oil before any more track or high load running. Plan on going with Motul 300V which is available in 0/40, 5/30, 10/30, 10/40 ,15/50 and 20/60 weights. I will try the 15/50 for the last 3 summer/fall events I'm running and then go back to the 0/40 for the off season. The color of the Mobil 1 in the car now is still golden honey, but I think it's all used up from the high rpm running on it.
Steve

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
Darren
I ran out there with you at Summit Point and had run 2 weeks earlier at lime rock. Total of 5:45 hour of track time and 900 miles of travel to the tracks, plus anther 300 since my last oil/filter change. At the end of Sunday sessions I was seeing the idle oil pressure fall to 22 psi, normally the OP at idle is 29-32 on my car and I set the warning light at 27. In speaking to the Moyul rep at Laguna Seca today he said that it is a sign of viscosity shear and I should change the oil before any more track or high load running. Plan on going with Motul 300V which is available in 0/40, 5/30, 10/30, 10/40 ,15/50 and 20/60 weights. I will try the 15/50 for the last 3 summer/fall events I'm running and then go back to the 0/40 for the off season. The color of the Mobil 1 in the car now is still golden honey, but I think it's all used up from the high rpm running on it.
Steve

Steve,
Good info thanks. I had to add half a quart while I was there. btw, you were flying out there!

Darren

PS. I'm heading back to Summit this weekend for 2 day NASA event then off to VIR end of month!

Steve I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Damn that car looks good!"

For the record, I change my oil before a track event but I put a lot of miles on the car in between events. 20,000 miles with 5 track events.

In my case it's two 3 day track events. I count any 2 or 3 HPDE as one "event". I'll count a 1 day event as a 1/2 event. I know modern full syn oils are very durable and hold up quite well under stress. That's why I'm sending my oil out for analysis. If it looks really good I may extend my oil change intervals but probably not more than 3 "events" or 3 months (whichever is first). 8.5 quarts of oil is cheap insurance for a $$$$ engine.

As for consumption, I used 1/2 quart after 3 days at Watkins Glen and 1/2 quart after 3 days at Summit Point. After both events I got about 1/2 shotglass of oil out of the Mososo separator.

ChuckP said:
In my case it's two 3 day track events. I count any 2 or 3 HPDE as one "event". I'll count a 1 day event as a 1/2 event. I know modern full syn oils are very durable and hold up quite well under stress. That's why I'm sending my oil out for analysis. If it looks really good I may extend my oil change intervals but probably not more than 3 "events" or 3 months (whichever is first). 8.5 quarts of oil is cheap insurance for a $$$$ engine.

As for consumption, I used 1/2 quart after 3 days at Watkins Glen and 1/2 quart after 3 days at Summit Point. After both events I got about 1/2 shotglass of oil out of the Mososo separator.

Chuck, let us know what your analysis yields. ;D

Looks like we're on the same schedule Chuck. I've been changing every couple events or 4-5 track days. With the air-to-oil cooler it's 9.5 quarts. I'd like to extend it further if reasonable, but like others have said it's cheap insurance. The 302S maintenance schedule is ever 4 hours so I'm thinking every 4-5 track days should be about the max we should "push it".

MA
This is a great topic.

Lot of good info here.

I agree with others, synthetic oils are great, but the high RPM's and engine temps seen during HPDE's definitely sheer the viscosity. I did my first change at 1,600 break in miles, then again at around 4,200 miles after 2 track events. The oil level never dropped much more than 1/4 quart tops after my first track day at 3,000 miles or so. The next track day the level was constant. I noticed the oil looked a little dark so I changed it to be safe.

I'd consider 2 track days the standard for oil changes provided the car isn't a daily driver with tons of miles being stacked up other than at the track.

By the way, I use the factory full synthetic and Ford filters. If it worked for the Ford engineers in testing, it's good enough for me.

SVT1 said:
I'd consider 2 track days the standard for oil changes provided the car isn't a daily driver with tons of miles being stacked up other than at the track.
2 track days? Wow...I'd need to bring oil and filter to the track with me since I mostly do 3 day events (Fri-Sat-Sun). Well, my oil sample with 6 track days and about 1200 road miles is on the way to the lab. I'll post results when I get them.

BTW: I've been using Motorcraft 5W50 full syn (FL500S filter). I know it meets the factory specs and it's the cheapest option in my area: $7.73/qt at a local auto parts house. Castrol is about $9 at Pep Boys. Is there any other readily available 5W50 oil that meets the "B" oil spec for the Boss?

ChuckP said:
Is there any other readily available 5W50 oil that meets the "B" oil spec for the Boss?

The "B" oil spec is more about saving the cats than the engine, but that a different discussion.

Since different schools offer different amounts of track time it would be better to keep track of track time instead of days. I recommend using a quality, proper weight oil (15W-50 is to heavy for this car) and changing if after 4 - 4:30 hours of track use. As the old saying goes, pay now or pay big $ later. ;)

Sesshomurai

ChuckP said:
2 track days? Wow...I'd need to bring oil and filter to the track with me since I mostly do 3 day events (Fri-Sat-Sun). Well, my oil sample with 6 track days and about 1200 road miles is on the way to the lab. I'll post results when I get them.

Very cool. Interested in the results. I'm 6 track days down (over a 3 week span) without an oil change, but I've had to add about 2 quarts over that period. I always planned to change it after I finished this brutal haul of events. Wonder how its held up chemically.

Re: Oil change intervals for tracked cars? Lab results!

Looks like Motorcraft 5W50 held up nicely after 8 track days and 1500 road miles. Lab says I could probably go a couple more track days before a change but I don't think I'll push it that far. However, it's good to know it seems to handle track stress fairly well.
Oil-12BOSS-081512_zpsb1bb882c.jpg

This is great information. How do you send the sample to them? Do they provide the container?
I just turned 1000K miles and changed my oil. First track day with this car is on October 28th at Homestead Miami Speedway.
My rule of thumb has always change the oil after two events, usually 4 track days at approx 8 hrs of track time plus some miles on the street. Fresh is best !

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fastduo said:
This is great information. How do you send the sample to them? Do they provide the container?
I just turned 1000K miles and changed my oil. First track day with this car is on October 28th at Homestead Miami Speedway.
My rule of thumb has always change the oil after two events, usually 4 track days at approx 8 hrs of track time plus some miles on the street. Fresh is best !

Dude welcome to the site, glad to see you picked up a B302 to replace your other S197!

ArizonaGT said:
Fastduo said:

Dude welcome to the site, glad to see you picked up a B302 to replace your other S197!

Thank you. Just purchased some upgrades from another member here so I can't wait to get her out on track. It is an awsome car. Ford did a great job on this one. (PS.....hate the shifter. I haven't caught up on the threads about that yet)

Fastduo said:
If you go on their web site you order sample collection kits with a plastic collection bottle, label and mailer. I have several but I think they are free. Been using their service for about 5 years now. They keep history on each of your cars so you can see how they are doing from lab test to lab test.

TMO Supporting Vendors