The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Change Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've always changed the oil when the motor is hot. My dad insisted that was the best way. My car is sitting on race ramps at room temp waiting for me to pull the drain plug. I assume anything bad in the oil will have settled at the bottom of the pan by now. That would mean I don't need to get the motor hot. Any opinions?

It's always recommended to change the oil when the engine is up to operating temp. The dirt stays in suspension (SP?) in the oil and drains out easier (think less residue). Remember, the engine oils job is to not only lubricate, but grab onto dirt so it can be filtered/drained out.

I don't know about the oil's job not being to lubricate but I agree that changing oil with engine at operating temp is best.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
BigTaco said:
It's always recommended to change the oil when the engine is up to operating temp. The dirt stays in suspension (SP?) in the oil and drains out easier (think less residue). Remember, the engine oils job is to not only lubricate, but grab onto dirt so it can be filtered/drained out.

+1 Hot oil will be less viscous and flush suspended contaminants easier.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel