The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil change: Should I prefill the filter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys I have a question. I need to take my 2013 Boss to the dealer tomorrow to have an oil change done. I don't do it myself because I want to have records of oil changes for warranty purposes. Should I ask the dealer to prefill the oil filter and then only fill the motor to like halfway up the fill line? Will it matter/be worth the trouble?

I'm paranoid about oil changes because my 2012 Boss had its oil changed and immediately developed the infamous ignitor tick, which was incredibly annoying. Since I bought my 13, I've had its oil changed once and it hasn't had the tick, I want to do anything I can to make sure it has lower chances of developing it. Any advice?

I always change my own oil and always fill the filter before I put it on. I noticed a long time ago when I put a dry filter in at first start you could hear a difference compared to filling the filter. As far as telling the dealer to do it......honestly I think they will say yes no prob but the tech will change the oil however he does it. My .02.

GB218

TMO Addict
+1.

I always pre-fill my filters. Been doing it on all my vehicles since I was a kid.....

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Plus 2!

This is a very good practice and the position of the U Code engine oil filter lends itself well to this practice. I also use a touch of engine oil to lubricate the oil filter seal that helps to ensure a good seat of the seal.

Not sure if my Dealership Technician did this on my 15k service last November, but this is a good practice to improve oil supply to the crankshaft main and rod bearings on engine start up after the oil change.

Dave
302 HP

FYI, when you fill the filter by pouring oil in the center hole of the filter, you are filling the outlet of the filter. The small holes around the center is the inlet side, not that any of this matters.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
06mach1 said:
FYI, when you fill the filter by pouring oil in the center hole of the filter, you are filling the outlet of the filter. The small holes around the center is the inlet side, not that any of this matters.

Yes, this is true and it does take a few minutes to fill the filter. For me it usually takes three fills to soak through the pleats and stay filled.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

You can also delay starting the engine and just get it to turn over if you floor the gas and start. The ECU will hold off firing the fuel injectors and the engine will just crank for 5 seconds or so. I do that after any prolonged sitting so that I know some oil gets to the top of the engine before she actually fires up. I would guess it will work to fill the filter a bit, too.

Got it done today. Dealer was about to put in 5w20 synthetic blend but I told them it had to be 5w50 full synthetic. I got them to prefill the filter, and they let me chill in the bay while they did everything. However, when we filled everything, my Boss only took 8 quarts and maybe a tenth of another...instead of the usual 8.3 that fills me up. Why would that be? I saw them drain the old oil out for quite some time. Not sure how that happened?

arabbit said:
Got it done today. Dealer was about to put in 5w20 synthetic blend but I told them it had to be 5w50 full synthetic. I got them to prefill the filter, and they let me chill in the bay while they did everything. However, when we filled everything, my Boss only took 8 quarts and maybe a tenth of another...instead of the usual 8.3 that fills me up. Why would that be? I saw them drain the old oil out for quite some time. Not sure how that happened?

Once you run it a bit and turn the engine off, let the oil settle and check your dip stick, the you'll probably see the actual level and have to top it off a bit. Also, why are we worrying about 0.2 qrts?! :p

Mine is usually overfilled 0.5qrts because of the track days.

Haha I don't know, just trying to figure out why the variation.

On another note, is it normal for the dealership to put my Boss up on a 4 point lift, with the points being under my pinch welds? I would think you should jack it up under the frame rails, is it even safe to be jacking these cars under the pinch welds?

Ive seen frame rails get dented by lift pads, I'd use the pinch welds if i owned my own shop... or lift!
also, check your other thread for another reply :D

arabbit said:

Now that is REALLY scary. Can't even get something as easy as the proper oil correct for a simple oil change. And in this case, could probably damage your engine, depending on your driving habits.

EDIT: fixed quote

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
arabbit said:

Just another reason to do it yourself. I use a DIY shop to save tyme, do it standing up and a half hour is all it takes. $15 bucks for the DIY shop is worth it plus... I really dig doing it standing up. :p

The reason I don't do it myself is just for documentation that a dealership did all my work, in case I need to use the warranty. And for anyone wondering, prefilling the filter did NOT prevent ignitor tick. My 13 Boss has it after the oil change. It is quite a bit less pronounced in my 13 than my previous 12, but it's present. Guess I'll just have to get some louder exhaust so I don't hear it.

arabbit said:
The reason I don't do it myself is just for documentation that a dealership did all my work, in case I need to use the warranty. And for anyone wondering, prefilling the filter did NOT prevent ignitor tick. My 13 Boss has it after the oil change. It is quite a bit less pronounced in my 13 than my previous 12, but it's present. Guess I'll just have to get some louder exhaust so I don't hear it.

Had not heard of this. What is it/how do you recognize it?

Look it up on youtube, theres alot of videos of people getting an engine tick after changing their oil. It sounds like a bbq ignitor. It happens at low rpms when putting a load on the motor, and is more recognizable when youre near a wall. Apparently it happens to alot of us and Ford claims it isn't hurting anything.

TMO Supporting Vendors