The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil change through Ford dealers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
coboss said:
It is ironic that this is posted just today. I just returned from my Ford dealer where I used a free oil change coupon in that my salesperson sent me for my first oil change on my 2013 with 500 miles on the clock.

CHECK YOUR OIL after ANYONE changes it. I was going to lift the hood and check mine, but then I looked on the service sheet they gave me, and right on it they said they put in 7.5 quarts of oil. The Boss, as we all should know, takes 8.5 quarts. The oil service techs do 5.0L engines all day long, and they didn't know the Boss takes 8.5 quarts, and the others take 7.5. I had to get out the Boss Supplement to the owners manual to show them, then when we checked on the stick, sure enough, it was down almost a quart.

Between this and the reported oil consumption issues, we all need to be checking our oil regularly, especially right after an oil change.

Yet *another* instance where even if you did not know what the specific fill level was required for the model in your service bay, that you would/should look up the required materials for the service. Fail 1. After performing required service and then checking for leaks, there wasn't a dipstick check? Fail 2.

All you need is for the FACTORY TRAINED TECHNICIAN to do next is go for the tri-fecta of Fail with a way too loose hand tightened oil filter or drain plug for your 45K car to require a new engine. Then your formerly numbers matching special edition car is suddenly worth a whole lot less.

For every one who says 'If you can't trust your dealer to perform an oil change...' , you go ahead and entrust your car to your dealer. After hearing about this latest episode, I will double check the fill level, and oil filter and drain plug *if* I bother with a dealer service.

Lots of respsones to this one gets a bit off topic..... Theres on fear I have which several people have mentioned is if they are actually going to put in the right oil and do the job right. One thing I did leave out which does change this for me is that Im not taking it to my local ford dealer since they are beyond incompetent... so I'm taking it to the Lincoln dealer which is owned by the same people I bought my Boss from. Since I know they don't work on Mustangs all the time I'm sure their won't be a confusion since they will actually have to look it up in the system to see what they need to use.... And I have got the impression loud and clear from here to make sure I tell them in advance 8.5 Quarts of 5w-50.

drano38

Wayne
I had the oil changed last week. Since I'm on their service plan, I was due a free change. I've got 4 other vehicles, and do all my oil changes there to rack up free Boss ones. Regular price would have been $111.
I always remind them to use a drive-on lift or be careful of the side pipes. They know its 8.5 quarts of 5W-50, but I guess I'll remind them of that too from now on, and pull the dip stick when I pick it up.

TMO Supporting Vendors