The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil change through Ford dealers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got a mailer from ford today for owners advantage and it's giving me a an oil change of synthetic motor craft oil and filter up to 5 quarts for $34.95. Since it doesn't exclude any specific synthetic or vehicle. I would really like to take advantage of it and I know the boss takes more than 5 quarts which I'm ok paying over. My big question is has anyone had luck with these owner advantage rewards on oil changes for the boss?

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I would take advantage of this only to dump the break-in oil, and then run this for a few thousand miles until I could replace it with a quality true synthetic made-in-america oil. There are a million oil threads on the internet, I've researched this one pretty thoroughly and am going to pay for some lab analysis testing. Nothing like hard data lab reports for backing up anonymous claims, hear say, rumor, misinformation, ignorance, etc. Motorcraft is good enough to get your Boss through the warranty period without a failure, but by no means *in my opinion* is it the most cost effective means to provide the best performance and protection for your money.

I'd be happy to tell you what I decided to do via email (member name gmail dot com), I won't post on this publicly until I actually have the car, and have my 3 lab reports from the delivered from the factory oil, the 2nd change with Motorcraft, and then 5k miles of 'the good stuff'. The amount of vitriol I've seen on various 'which oil' threads across the internet is amazing. You might as well start a debate on religion, politics, or planned parenthood. But I will go out on a limb to say I hate Illinois Nazis. :eek:

I'm no expert or guru re: 'what oil' but have drawn my own conclusions based on a bleep-ton of research and talking to other car enthusiasts, like a lot of guys who join forums seeking knowledge. There's nothing earth shattering about my joe blow opinion about what I've decided to put in my 45k car, but I'm not going to post 'blind' recommendations based solely on my own research.

That's what I do. My local dealer charges me $85 total with their coupon which is about what it would cost to DIY.

While on the subject of oil changes, I have a question. I most likely will only put about 1500-2000 miles on my new Boss this year as its not a daily and my previous non daily was driven about the same...I really don't want to leave this oil in for 5k miles as I might not hit that for 3 years. Would it be harmful to change the new oil next spring with only 2k miles on the odometer? I usually run Amsoil in all my previous cars but this is my first new car and haven't had to deal with a "break in" period. Any advice is appreciated.

dont know about you guys but with the countless motors i have built over the decades i have always, always had my initial batch of oil in a new engine changed within 1-2 hours of startup. thats when you get all the crap your gonna get into it from the "build" process...

then i change that at 1000 miles and then i will start running my synthetics ect...what ever were gonna run..

these are high end hemi's and such built to make in excess of 1k hp levels.

if you are worried about the "oil"..you can also just swap out the filter and service the oil level back to where its needed with fresh oil. its up to you. its your engine. do what you want. do what you feel comfortable with.
if a korean oil doesnt scare you, roll with it.

gremlinsteve said:
dont know about you guys but with the countless motors i have built over the decades i have always, always had my initial batch of oil in a new engine changed within 1-2 hours of startup. thats when you get all the crap your gonna get into it from the "build" process...

then i change that at 1000 miles and then i will start running my synthetics ect...what ever were gonna run..

these are high end hemi's and such built to make in excess of 1k hp levels.

if you are worried about the "oil"..you can also just swap out the filter and service the oil level back to where its needed with fresh oil. its up to you. its your engine. do what you want. do what you feel comfortable with.
if a korean oil doesnt scare you, roll with it.

Oh I am cool with changing my oil sooner...I just keep hearing about this break in oil...I want to get some Amsoil in there ASAP.

i still to this day prefer a good non detergant oil for a few hundred miles. thats non synthetic btw. its how its been done forever. im not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

its only used like that for ring seating...but..if the rings have not seated withing 100 miles it aint gonna happen...so go for it. swap in the amsoil whenever you like. its not gonna ruin anything.

case in point....

everyone says baby baby baby em till you have xxxx miles on them. then you good. do you think a cop car gets babied from the word go? how about flat footed high speed pursuits all day for hours sometimes...and those things run forever...suspension is anopther issue with them but drivtrain other than the trans seem to hold up well.

steve-o

gremlinsteve said:
i still to this day prefer a good non detergant oil for a few hundred miles. thats non synthetic btw. its how its been done forever. im not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

its only used like that for ring seating...but..if the rings have not seated withing 100 miles it aint gonna happen...so go for it. swap in the amsoil whenever you like. its not gonna ruin anything.

case in point....

everyone says baby baby baby em till you have xxxx miles on them. then you good. do you think a cop car gets babied from the word go? how about flat footed high speed pursuits all day for hours sometimes...and those things run forever...suspension is anopther issue with them but drivtrain other than the trans seem to hold up well.

steve-o

This is true...

yea. cop cars are never equiped with brand new engines. and they dont sell 65 plus thousand of the fords each year. not to mention chevies, dodgess ect..

like i said. if you build engines you know a routine that your comfy with. but ill say from experiance that when my shop built engines if the rings where not seated at 100 miles then they where never going to be seated right. no matter if thats a cop car or a truck

I highly doubt most cop cars are in flat footed high speed pursuit on their first day in service. In the bike world, many believe that the first couple miles (like 3-7) are the key and the motor should be flogged as hard as possible in those few miles (without any constant rpm, just run it up and down reline to idle while riding). Then change the oil and you are ready to go. I also know other people who build motors and break them in on the dyno over a few hours starting with babying it. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that either is a must-do style.

I am doing my oil soon, I have 2500 miles, and the dealer will be doing it. They will also be doing the tranny fluid, and will have another shop do the diff so I can have plugs installed. Oil changes are not rocket science, dealer does them all day long, just make sure they use the right oil. I asked the service writer at the local one for a price on a change and it was pretty low, so I asked if he knew it used the same 5-50B as the GT500 and he didn't know. The writer at the other local dealer did know. So just make sure they know, as many dealers are not seeing a lot of these cars. Maybe put a piece of painter's tape on the cap that says Use 5w50.

It is ironic that this is posted just today. I just returned from my Ford dealer where I used a free oil change coupon in that my salesperson sent me for my first oil change on my 2013 with 500 miles on the clock.

CHECK YOUR OIL after ANYONE changes it. I was going to lift the hood and check mine, but then I looked on the service sheet they gave me, and right on it they said they put in 7.5 quarts of oil. The Boss, as we all should know, takes 8.5 quarts. The oil service techs do 5.0L engines all day long, and they didn't know the Boss takes 8.5 quarts, and the others take 7.5. I had to get out the Boss Supplement to the owners manual to show them, then when we checked on the stick, sure enough, it was down almost a quart.

Between this and the reported oil consumption issues, we all need to be checking our oil regularly, especially right after an oil change.

ive been in the cop world for well over 20 years. i have seen soooo many brand new cop cars driven like they where in a 500 mile race from day one its not funny.
dont believe me, go to any major dpt and chk for yourself. just saying...all this hype about break in periods silly.

crank it up...change that oil...go a distance on a fresh batch and then run it like you stole it cuz it doesnt matter. my stance remains because it has worked for me and the ones before me for a very long time. good quality oil like a valvoline non detergant and then run what ever your heart desires.

when i raced tgp fuel harleys,...ahh never mind...thats a differant breed all together.

coboss, did it say whether they used 5w50?

gremlinsteve, I know they run them pretty hard. I found where the local departments get together and race the Chargers against the Vics down on the abandoned road near the highway. But they don't have high speed all day pursuits every day.

i might be over rating the high speed crap from the minute it hits the road, but i come from a rather large city thats spread out over 700 square miles. and we have on average 3 of those chases a day. everyday. not all thats with new cars, but every year this place eats up vehicles...due to bad non driving cops ect....ive seen it all.

Your city is a lot bigger than mine, I doubt we have that many a month. I have broken in bikes and cars hard and soft and the hard ones were better in the long run. But it could be coincidence.

I can say from experiance that the ones broken i hard run faster and harder on the big end than the easy ones. Sometimes a full 10-12 mph more

But the ford automatics are there weak link
No excuses for that. Dunno about the new6 speeds as ford doesnt use them in that enviroment

Ford autos have always been an issue, at least in the trucks. They average about 100k miles at best between rebuilds for out older trucks, the new F150 has the new tranny and it needed warranty work on the tranny at about 5k miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors