The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

oil change tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there's been many threads on when to do the first oil change and what oil to use, so this is just a few tips I've found after much searching here and online. I'm sure this is so basic for most of you wrenchs that it wouldn't be discussed, but for someone like myself I thought it could be helpful to others like me.

1st oil change at 1250 miles

motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic, motorcraft fl-500s filter. bought from k-manparts.com oil $8 per qrt, filter $5.50

used a form-a-funnel to make the mess limited under the oil filter, which worked great. no mess whatsoever. a few paper towels under the edge of the filter housing along with the form-a-funnel made it a clean endeavor. I bought the form-a-funnel on amazon, through buzzard gulch, it was $25 shipped. the 6.5"x14.5" size worked well.

while I had it up I took the exhaust restrictors out, it sounds bad arse but not too loud.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tip 1: Make sure to replace the drain plug before you pour the new oil.

I've got one of those form-a-funnels now too, going to try it out during my oil change tonight or tomorrow.

BLAZN BOSS

1fastang said:
I know there's been many threads on when to do the first oil change and what oil to use, so this is just a few tips I've found after much searching here and online. I'm sure this is so basic for most of you wrenchs that it wouldn't be discussed, but for someone like myself I thought it could be helpful to others like me.

1st oil change at 1250 miles

motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic, motorcraft fl-500s filter. bought from k-manparts.com oil $8 per qrt, filter $5.50

used a form-a-funnel to make the mess limited under the oil filter, which worked great. no mess whatsoever. a few paper towels under the edge of the filter housing along with the form-a-funnel made it a clean endeavor. I bought the form-a-funnel on amazon, through buzzard gulch, it was $25 shipped. the 6.5"x14.5" size worked well.

while I had it up I took the exhaust restrictors out, it sounds bad arse but not too loud.
Why a 1250 mile oil change?

Why not, if he wants to? In theory there are metal shavings and stuff in there from break in. I'm doing mine when I do the diff oil, since I just had my first track day. There are rumors of special break in additives but I have never seen proof.

On my other cars, I always change the oil every track day (one was turbo, the other is regular oil only) and it didn't hurt anything.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Agreed, I think I changed my oil the first time at just over 1000 miles. The car barely has 7600 miles on it now and I must have changed the oil 5 or 6 times already; I change it after every two track events. Going to change it later today, as a matter of fact.

BLAZN BOSS

CaliMR said:
Why not, if he wants to? In theory there are metal shavings and stuff in there from break in. I'm doing mine when I do the diff oil, since I just had my first track day. There are rumors of special break in additives but I have never seen proof.

On my other cars, I always change the oil every track day (one was turbo, the other is regular oil only) and it didn't hurt anything.
Really...........metal shavings, please............Your right, he can do what he wants.........its a waste of money though.........I'm so currious, where do the metal shavings come from?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMHO - replacing the oil after 1000 miles just after break-in is not a bad idea. I did mine at aboiut 1200 and noticed that my first oil change had the oil a little on the dirty side. Now I do it every 3000 and it really comes out looking fairly clean. My guess is that she runs 'loose' until the engine fully breaks in, hence the loss of oil that we have been seeing during the break in period as well as the extra carbon buildup in the oil.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
forged internals run a looser tolerance than the the pressed powered pistons. but it actually runs a little tight for the first 3-5k then once it gets broke in the full power comes about as the resistance goes down. this is what my engine builder told me when I had my cobra motor built. and he recommended changing the oil at 500 miles then again every 5k. but each engine builder has there own break in procedure so I think so long as you change the oil your good lol

BLAZN BOSS said:
CaliMR said:

Really...........metal shavings, please............Your right, he can do what he wants.........its a waste of money though.........I'm so currious, where do the metal shavings come from?

The same kind of places they come from when you drain a diff and there are metal bits on the magnets. Probably not as much an issue with modern cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That Form-A-Funnel worked great for removing the filter, WAY less messy than before. Also my Trans-Cooler-Scoop Funnel helped drain the engine oil just fine...

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
Hi all,
my engine oil was changed first time at 2000 km's. Then it was on the low level mark.
Now at 5000 km's I need to visit dealer again to add oil because it has consumed about one litre.
Dealer said no worries, Boss will use oil in first thousands.

For next change dealer recommended to come at 8000 km's.

Greetings from Vancouver Cherry Blossom!

ArizonaGT said:
That Form-A-Funnel worked great for removing the filter, WAY less messy than before. Also my Trans-Cooler-Scoop Funnel helped drain the engine oil just fine...

The inventor of the FAF deserves a Nobel Prize. ;D

BLAZN BOSS

CaliMR said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
CaliMR said:

The same kind of places they come from when you drain a diff and there are metal bits on the magnets. Probably not as much an issue with modern cars.
Different enviroment than an engiine, There are ALWAYS some metal particles..........no more new than at 5000 miles..........as minute as they are in an engine (unless there is a real bad problem) the filter traps them.......If changing oil early gives the owner a sense of security then fine.........but the point of all this is its not necessary, all these bosses arent running carbon based oil. Now the tracked cars, should be changing soon.......just as the manual says. There isnt any break in additives......its not the 50's any more.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I just changed mine this past weekend, it was its first oil change.

I have 1,700 miles on it and it was just under the second dot level limit.

Oil seemed pretty dirty, i added 8.5 qrts of Mobil1 5w-50

Next oil change next spring probably @ 3200 miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors