The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Various test results have shown Motorcraft 5w-50 to start to degrade/shear after 2k miles. I plan on having my oil tested at 1k, then make the decision on when to dump it when the results come in. This first test will be to see what kind of contaminants are in the engine due to the brand new break in period. I will then see if I can get the same $70 oil and filter change at the dealership for the first change, and then have it tested at 2500 miles to see if my own test results jive with what has been posted (on another site). Then I will dump the Motorcraft for the premium brand I've picked out, and have that tested at 5k.

I am purposely not mentioning the newer brand because I'd rather just check the lab results before commenting on it's performance & value. Having the dealer perform an oil change, even at $70 involves a 60 mile round trip, so add the cost of 93 octane gas to that and you are looking at about $85 per change, not including the 3 hours of my time to drive up, back, and wait for the service. Therefor, in my mind it's worth paying just over $25 or so to perform the 3 tests mentioned above. Doing this will allow me to see if I can get superior protection AND up to 10k miles per change interval instead of dumping a Motorcraft fill every 5k. In the long run I think this will save me money and provide first hand peace of mind.

I did my first oil change at 25 miles and there was visible signs of metal in the oil. Like Coboss said, there is left over metal and other contaminants from the build process that aren't doing your engine any good. The sooner you remove them the better. My 2 cents. ;)

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
For everyone trying to support "Made In America" companies, their employees and products .....Motorcraft oil is made in Korea per the label on the 5W-50.

BOSSAZ said:
For everyone trying to support "Made In America" companies, their employees and products .....Motorcraft oil is made in Korea per the label on the 5W-50.

Nothing against the Koreans, but this blows IMO. Thanks for the info.

BOSSAZ said:

That's weird. Does Korea have some oil reserves we don't know about? ;D

At least with Korea the company I work for sold $600 million worth of high tech machines to Samsung alone last year. At a 40% gross margin! ;)

Funny how these countries just crank out the easy stuff but pay through the nose for the hard to make stuff! 8)

Fat Boss said:
Nope but I know where you can buy some cheap nuclear fuel rods. ;)

Sorry guys but our cars are barely 50% US made so worrying about what is and isn't US made seems kind of silly.

5 DOT 0 said:
Fat Boss said:
Nope but I know where you can buy some cheap nuclear fuel rods. ;)

Sorry guys but our cars are barely 50% US made so worrying about what is and isn't US made seems kind of silly.

Not at all IMO. Giving up on supporting local made stuff is to easy.

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
We have no choice when purchasing our vehicles but we have choices when we purchase products for our vehicles. Ask someone that worked for a company that produced products here in America and hasn't had a job for 2-3 years if it matters.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
if america makes the best product for a reasonable price then yes I will buy it but I am not going to buy american for the sake of buying american if it cost twice the price or isn't the best thing I can buy. Maybe I am alone on this one.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Sorry about that. Anyways I like the G oil as its made here using biodegradable content with no foreign oil dependency. But they dont make it in 5w-50. maybe if we all send them emails they will (gt500 guys too they run the same weight)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel