The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil consumption after sitting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

several guys here have had the 1 quart per 500 or 1000 miles, and then it stabilized after a few thousands miles, I think Gary is one of them IIRC. how many miles do you have?

3600. It burned a quart per 500 for 2600ish miles, then oil change and didn't burn a drop until 3400ish. Now it is burning again. It is most odd that it doesn't burn any when running it hard. Usually it is the opposite.

I decided to pick up a new brake reservoir, it was $45 including cap or the cap alone was $20. I'll give it a try and see what happens, first changing the cap then if it still leaks changing the res. I know some other people are having issues too. I mentioned to the service writer while I was there what I was doing, and he pretty much told me that it was a good idea since Ford would have to approve replacing the res under warranty and that would require proof of where the leak was, conditions it leaks under, etc ::)

Sesshomurai

Pro shop here said its prolly the #8 cylinder consuming all the oil because of a manufacturing defect that seems to affect that cylinder.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
What manufacturing defect ? Where is he getting his info from ? As far as I know there is no TSB on the roadrunner engine for this. In any event, inspection of the plugs + compression and a leak down test will confirm if there's any issues with any cylonders.

Sesshomurai

I didnt say engineering defect. There are sometimes minute errors that can happen during assembly or manufacturing that cause unique, one off problems with some cars. Happens. I will check his sources. Could be hearsay but i doubt it.

I've heard the rumors, and how they changed part numbers, but I asked the people here and on another forum who had motors go and they didn't have oil consumption like mine. I don't think it is related to that particular issue, even if the rumors are true. Will need to get it tested.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I agree that you should get the compression test done. Just in case.

But I suspect it's just your driving style. Since there is no burning on track, I doubt there's anything wrong with your engine. However, I am certain that lots of lugging and engine braking will suck oil vapor through your PCV system on the passenger side (vacuum behind the TB).

I don't lug it, and avoid engine braking unless I am downshifting next to a Prius. My mechanic told me replacing pads is cheaper than replacing trannies ;) Unless OD on the highway is lugging since it likes to burn oil on the highway. I have not had this issue with any other car so I don't think it is a driving issue.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
CaliMR said:
I don't lug it, and avoid engine braking unless I am downshifting next to a Prius. My mechanic told me replacing pads is cheaper than replacing trannies ;) Unless OD on the highway is lugging since it likes to burn oil on the highway. I have not had this issue with any other car so I don't think it is a driving issue.

Now was it your girlfriend that was lugging it? ;) Or am I thinking of somebody else? :D

She used to, but after an appropriate amount of chastising she doesn't anymore ;D Now I am working on teaching her to heal-toe. She is a drag racer, works for the NHRA, so she only knows how to up shift. She picked up an old 2002 she wants to convert to convert to a track car so she is trying to learn.

I put about 500 miles on it over the weekend, no significant oil loss. I'm still going to run some tests on it, and next time we get rain I'll see what happens after it sits a while. This car is so much fun to drive, I forget sometimes. Trying to talk my buddy into selling his 2011 V6 track pack car and get either a Boss or a GT500, he has a 90s Cobra he races in SCCA so his V6 is starting to feel slow.

Ok, she has been sitting for a little over a month. Looks like the last nice weekend in NY. I drove her yesterday and today. No burnt oil smell either day. Last oil fill up by Ford was at 8700 in September. checked her yesterday at 9300 miles she was dead in the middle os the safe area. When they topped her off it was at the top of the safe range. She's gone away for the winter. The oil consumption saga will continue next year

TMO Supporting Vendors