The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 2012 with 46,000 miles. I've had it almost a year and bought it with 26,000 as a CPO from Ford. I've done some research and understand that some oil consumption is considered normal, but I'm having to add roughly a quart every 1500 miles, give or take. I don't track the car, but it is my DD and I do drive the car the way it is meant to be driven, fast and hard ;D I drive about 50/50 between silver and TracKey...should I be concerned? I know high speed driving does contribute a lot to oil consumption, and if you live in Texas you know how easy and tempting that is on highways here. Any comments or thoughts are welcome!

That sounds well within the tolerance. Mine used a fair amount of oil early, then didn't seem to use much for the next couple years. Then the next couple years began using as much as a quart a day on big tracks like Road America, but used less (maybe 1/2 quart) on shorter tracks that didn't have long straightaways. Then it started using less again overall the last year I owned it. So if you're doing long sustained pulls it's possible that uses more oil than shorter bursts. At least that's the way mine seemed to operate.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Oil will be consumed past the rings/valve seals or vented through the PCV system.....genrally speaking.

You can cut back on oil consumption through the PCV system with a breather system.

As mentioned, a quart every 1500 miles in not excessive. I agree this is not reassuring but still normal for some cars.

I seldom add oil unless playing hard on track. The first 2500 miles was a different story, a quart every 800 miles was the norm then. After complete breakin consumption is almost zero.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A breather can is a good popular mod.

Do you have any indication of where the oil is going? Is there oil in your intake? Oil in the intake would indicate oil passing through the PVC system. A oil separator helps reduce the oil in the intake but seldom stops all.

Still. Not a lot of oil being consumed.

Have you changed the PCV valve? Some have pulled too much oil increasing consumption. A cheap part to replace.

I think that's too much oil consumed for driving on the street and I'd take it to your dealer and document while your warranty is still in effect. I had similar oil consumption as cloud9...on my original engine. Once it popped and a new engine was installed it burned no oil including during track days.

VooDooBOSS said:
I think that's too much oil consumed for driving on the street and I'd take it to your dealer and document while your warranty is still in effect. I had similar oil consumption as cloud9...on my original engine. Once it popped and a new engine was installed it burned no oil including during track days.
I agree 100% with Ricks statement. get it to a Ford dealer so it can be checked. Even if they tell you its normal. Because its not. This way here if it gets worse or pops you have a track record with Ford.
I would also install a pertson catch can on your Boss. As others have stated it could be something so simple as a bad PCV. No matter what, after you get the car back from ford>>>install the pertson catch can system. Well worth it.

May I ask what boss # is it and the build date if you know.
Your not alone with this type of problem. I have read where some owners even sold there bosses because of this problem.
Whatever you do, tell the dealer that its a DD and its your baby. Do not talk about heavy right foot problems. They look for an out!
What they will more than likely do is an OIL consumpition test by changing your oil and telling you to drive it and report back. they may even do a compression test. In the end you may even end up getting a new motor if things are not within the range.
every motor replacement that I heard of turned out GREAT. Mr. VooDoo is one of them.

Bottom line is Do Nothing and Get Nothing.
Good Luck and keep us informed.

Read several oil consumption posts, but what I haven't seen is what was the root cause. If Ford replaces the motor that's great but curious what the problem was. Seems like modular motors have always been oil users. my 2001 Bullitt was eating a qt every 700 miles by the time I reached 100k. Local police garage tech said their 2 valve Crown Vic's were random users. If they got to 60k & were not using oil then that was usually the way they remained for their service life (approx 125-135k) If they were using oil by 60k then they would continue to do so and usually worsen, but he also added they would run forever just keep feeding them oil. :eek:

I'm an old pushrod motor guy (302 Fox, 351 Lightning) and none of them used more than a 1/2qt of oil between changes ( every 5k Syn) even at over 150k on the 302 and 245k on the 351 8)

VIN #: 1ZVBP8CU6C5260523
Boss #: 2292

I don't have the build date. I went to Ford today and made an appointment for next Tuesday.

superhero said:
I agree 100% with Ricks statement. get it to a Ford dealer so it can be checked. Even if they tell you its normal. Because its not. This way here if it gets worse or pops you have a track record with Ford.
I would also install a pertson catch can on your Boss. As others have stated it could be something so simple as a bad PCV. No matter what, after you get the car back from ford>>>install the pertson catch can system. Well worth it.

May I ask what boss # is it and the build date if you know.
Your not alone with this type of problem. I have read where some owners even sold there bosses because of this problem.
Whatever you do, tell the dealer that its a DD and its your baby. Do not talk about heavy right foot problems. They look for an out!
What they will more than likely do is an OIL consumpition test by changing your oil and telling you to drive it and report back. they may even do a compression test. In the end you may even end up getting a new motor if things are not within the range.
every motor replacement that I heard of turned out GREAT. Mr. VooDoo is one of them.

Bottom line is Do Nothing and Get Nothing.
Good Luck and keep us informed.

Update: They couldn't find a trace of an external leak anywhere, and had me do an oil consumption test. They changed my oil/filter & marked my dipstick, filter, and drain plug and told me to report back in 1000 miles. I'll keep you guys posted on what they report back!

So now one month and 1000 miles later, I check the oil dipstick...and the level is perfectly okay ???. However, I haven't used the TracKey once this whole time. I do have noticeable engine ping with the TracKey and have already contacted Ford Racing, and they recommended an oil separator. Got the JLT, and the issue is somewhat better but not totally gone. The only thing I can narrow it down to now is that the pinging from the TracKey is the source of the consumption. Has anyone else dealt with this yet? I don't want to ditch TracKey altogether but if it's going to mean adding a quart of oil every 1000 miles I don't really have a choice. Love this car to death, but this is somewhat frustrating :mad:

2dqk8di.jpg

2012 Competition Orange Boss 302 #2292
Recaros/Torsen, Hood Decal Delete, Comp Orange Painted Roof & Spoiler

Don't see how using the track key would result in an increase on oil consumption. If it was going to use oil due to any mechanical issue its doesn't matter which key you drive with.

Just curious what does you oil life readout say after the 1000 miles. How does the oil look on the dip stick, still fairly clean?

k98dave said:
Don't see how using the track key would result in an increase on oil consumption. If it was going to use oil due to any mechanical issue its doesn't matter which key you drive with.

Just curious what does you oil life readout say after the 1000 miles. How does the oil look on the dip stick, still fairly clean?

All I can think of is the pinging is indication of oil being sucked back into the intake, ending in consumption. And this only occurs with TracKey. The oil separator helps but the pinging is still there.

Oil life is 90%. Oil looks clean as well and is dead between min and max.

Maybe the additional engine braking from the track key is creating enough vacuum to suck in additional oil and cause pinging. You might want to upgrade to a better catch can/breather.

F.D. Sako said:
Maybe the additional engine braking from the track key is creating enough vacuum to suck in additional oil and cause pinging. You might want to upgrade to a better catch can/breather.

This.
Try the Watson Peterson kit. Also, make sure to run a good oil with low volatility; not Motorcraft but definitely 5W-50.

F.D. Sako said:

BigTaco said:
This.
Try the Watson Peterson kit. Also, make sure to run a good oil with low volatility; not Motorcraft but definitely 5W-50.

Thank you guys. I'll look into it. Have you guys had this problem as well? I know it's kind of hit or miss from what I've read.

I have had oil consumption as well with my 2013 , it seems to be get better each summer I burned 1 liter every 2000 Km in the first year,1 liter every 3000 km second year,and 1 liter every 3500 km last year.I have the Peterson air breather can ,so I know it's not going into intake manifold.I also check the oil every week and allways keep it completely toped up.I drive it hard and use the Track Key 90 percent of the time.The car runs great,so I just keep adding oil.Allways buy a case of 12.

I have no oil consumption when driven on the street. I've only experienced minor consumption at the track once on a really hot day (98*F). I think the Peterson can really work well. Just a heads up, depending on where you place the can, you may smell oil vapors within the cabin. fyi, I use Mobil1 5w50.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel